real time web analytics
Report - - St. John's Hospital, Lincolnshire - March & April 2023 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St. John's Hospital, Lincolnshire - March & April 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
The History

St. John's Hospital began life in August 1852 when it opened as Lincolnshire County Asylum as one of the first-wave Victorian county asylums built in response to the 1845 Lunacy Act. It is constructed from pale local stone in an Italianate renaissance-inspired style, and is quite impressive if not looking slightly out of place. It was built in the corridor plan typical of the time, with a long linear corridor spanning from the admin and hall at the centre to the wards east and west. The females wards were on the east side of the hospital with the male wards on the west. The hospital building was added to over the next few years following its opening as it began with capacity for 250 patients, but was expanded in 1889 to accomodate 680 patients. By its height in the early 20th century, it could accomodate 944. The chapel was built in 1897. The hospital served until 1989 when it finally closed, similar to timing to most of the country's other mental hospitals following the 'care in the community' act. The site was bought for residential conversion although progress has been slow, with the female east side and admin only having been completed and works currently underway on the rear of the hospital. The hospital had a fairly minimal thin concrete water tower although this was demolished in 2012. This video is an excellent short documentary on the hosital and its history with interviews from staff.

Screenshot 2023-04-30 163322.jpg

Initial Visit - March 2023

I've been wanting to take a look at this place for a few years now, but had no idea if it was still doable as redevelopment works began some time ago and I hadn't seen any reports in a long time. It's been abandoned for a long long while, even longer than I've been alive and was popular back in the asylum 'golden era', but unlike nearly all the others much of the building has avoided conversion or demolition.

I'd seen the pictures of Rauceby popping up online and whilst it didn't look particularly great, I felt I'd regret it if I didn't see it before it goes or changes. So we drove for three hours on a Sunday morning and checked out Rauceby, whilst encountering about seven different groups of local chavs trapsing round the wide open site. It was honestly pretty crap and we felt the journey so far had not been worthwhile, even if the exteriors of a few buildings are still worth seeing and photographing, so we wanted to find more.

Being up in Lincolnshire I thought it would be worth stopping at St. Johns to at least scope it out for future and see if it was now all converted, and this is where it got interesting. I first photographed the converted admin block and east side, and then started to see if access to the derelict west wing was still possible. It was now essentially a building site with heavy machinery and materials lying around the open courtyard. It also has cameras around most of the fence, and has locals walking around the outside often. Two of us scouted the way in before realising I'd forgotten my camera and it was about to get good.

StJohnsHospital-3.jpg

StJohnsHospital-4.jpg

StJohnsHospital-1.jpg

We went back out to collect our friend and the camera, and then headed back in. It was starting to get dark by this time, and the floor was incredibly rotten. Do be careful, it's seriously dangerous here, really not one to do on your own. Climbing into the mouldy interior, we were immediatley met with period features of the Victorian asylum, including the honeycomb barrel vaulted ceilings reminiscent of Warley asylum in Essex I never got to see. This pattern of brickwork is thought to have helped with fire surpression, although is often said perhaps erroneously to help keep noise of the troubled souls inside down.

We found ourselves in a large dayroom or similar with a semi-circular shape on one side and lots of yellow siderooms around it. A pillar in the middle was decorated with a painted floral pattern, all pretty cool. We weaved our way around the crispy soggy uneven floor and into the next few rooms. Being quite dark, it was quite difficult having much peripheral awareness and the dodgy floor didn't help, so we didn't venture around the upstairs and headed back after reaching a section with a light on at the end of the wallway. Even if it wasn't much, it felt special to see something thought to be long-gone.

StJohnsHospital-5.jpg

StJohnsHospital-9.jpg

StJohnsHospital-10.jpg

StJohnsHospital-11.jpg

StJohnsHospital-8.jpg

StJohnsHospital-7.jpg

StJohnsHospital-6.jpg

Wastelandr

Regular User
Main Visit - April 2023

So after the first successful visit into the hospital, I felt there was potential for more. However, it wasn't until I saw @RXQueen 's pictures appear that I realised exactly how much good stuff I'd missed whilst shuffling about in the darkness of my initial visit. @KismetJ and I decided it would be worth a visit, and after already being clued up on the access I thought it should be quite easy. After the 3 hour drive, we found that the local kids were doing an easter egg hunt in the wooded area close to where we went in. It seemed much harder in broad daylight, so we had to time it carefully when no egg-hunters were passing. We navigated the previous access point and into the semi-circular room, but rather than heading down the corridors, we decided to go upstairs where I hadn't explored before. After only a short walk we emerged in a stunning sun-lit corridor lined with seclusion rooms; likely once padded cells or similar, and took plenty of photos. Some of the other rooms off here were also interesting, and had plenty of original features including a toilet with a wooden seat that looked as old as the building itself.

StJohnsHospital-6.jpg

StJohnsHospital-7.jpg

StJohnsHospital-5.jpg

StJohnsHospital-9.jpg

StJohnsHospital-10.jpg

StJohnsHospital-14.jpg

StJohnsHospital-16.jpg

StJohnsHospital-15.jpg

StJohnsHospital-18.jpg

StJohnsHospital-19.jpg

StJohnsHospital-23.jpg

StJohnsHospital-24.jpg

StJohnsHospital-26.jpg

StJohnsHospital-27.jpg

StJohnsHospital-29.jpg

Wastelandr

Regular User
We cotinued to explore the decaying asylum, navigating through its maze-like corridors and barely-existant flooring. We next explored the centre-west corridor area. The downstairs was pretty grim with the floor ripped out and a large drop beneath the surviving parts, but we did find a seclusion room with shutters on the window for padding out the room. Upstairs, we found another ablutions area in the form of a large shower room still with dated equipment, dividers and mirrors. We also found another large room with a small kitchen and serving area within. As we continued, we began heading into parts of the asylum that had been stripped back to the stone and brick in the early stages of conversion.

StJohnsHospital-30.jpg

StJohnsHospital-31.jpg

StJohnsHospital-34.jpg

StJohnsHospital-35.jpg

StJohnsHospital-38.jpg

StJohnsHospital-40.jpg

StJohnsHospital-41.jpg

StJohnsHospital-42.jpg

StJohnsHospital-44.jpg

StJohnsHospital-45.jpg

StJohnsHospital-46.jpg

StJohnsHospital-47.jpg

StJohnsHospital-48.jpg

StJohnsHospital-36.jpg

StJohnsHospital-43.jpg

Wastelandr

Regular User
We next entered the area currently under refurbishment in varied stages of completion yet still largely not looking like it was going to be ready anytime soon. In places, plasterboard had gone mouldy from the damp etc and it wasn't clear if works were recent or themselves had been abandoned some time ago. Temporary lighting was on and generators were buzzing around this part, and it felt more like exploring a live site which made for added variety. We saw the stone steps and archway originally leading into the recreation hall, which were pretty ornate. Unfortunately the hall itself appeared to have been very recently boarded as it was possible only weeks before. Still, the ironwork of the covered walkways surrounding the hall at the rear of the site was cool to see.

StJohnsHospital-54.jpg

StJohnsHospital-52.jpg

StJohnsHospital-73.jpg

StJohnsHospital-53.jpg

StJohnsHospital-55.jpg

StJohnsHospital-56.jpg

StJohnsHospital-57.jpg

StJohnsHospital-66.jpg

StJohnsHospital-72.jpg

Next we ventured into a a detached block in the centre-west of the site, perhaps once connected to the main building. This appeared to have seen use after the hospital officially closed as some sort of children's facility, judging by the 2000s style displays and toys, all a bit of a nostaglia trip for me. I moved the trike into position for a photo. As I went upstairs, I heard somebody's voice coming in the ground floor. We were already on edge as we heard this voice going around outside whilst we were in the active part earlier. We decided to hide in a sideroom but it next came onto our floor and the footsteps were getting nearer and nearer. Deciding to confront the situation and avoid giving them a heart attack, we stepped out to greet what turned out to be another explorer.

StJohnsHospital-71.jpg

StJohnsHospital-67.jpg

StJohnsHospital-60.jpg

StJohnsHospital-59.jpg

StJohnsHospital-62.jpg

StJohnsHospital-63.jpg

StJohnsHospital-64.jpg

StJohnsHospital-68.jpg

After talking for a bit and them telling us how they almost believed in ghosts after seeing that trike had moved, I passingly asked if they had a page online I could check out. About 30 minutes later, I got a message from them with a picture saying 'police are outside'. Whoopsie, a resident must have seen us strolling around the courtyard as we became more relaxed meeting the other explorer. We decided to just gtfo the way we came, and rather heading to our car which was parked right outside admin where the police were, we headed immediately for the local pub. Patients actually used to drink in there back in the day. Two lads from Essex dressed in black clothes covered in mould and old paint debris did not fit in whatsoever, but two hours later we miraculously emerged unchallenged, and drove home. Quite the finish to an amazing explore.

Screenshot_20230408-224403.png

StJohnsHospital-74.jpg

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
Some lovely shots there. I remember years ago a group of us spending the night in one of those rooms to catch first light. Good times.

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great report. We got caught here years ago by security who turned out to be really nice and showed us some other parts.

Wastelandr

Regular User
Great report. We got caught here years ago by security who turned out to be really nice and showed us some other parts.
Thanks, aha always nice when they accommodate you haven't had that in a long while

Webbs0710

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That looks absolutely phenomenal 👌🏻 went last Saturday, and there were unfortunately workmen on site, so I didn't even bother getting out of the car

Wastelandr

Regular User
That looks absolutely phenomenal 👌🏻 went last Saturday, and there were unfortunately workmen on site, so I didn't even bother getting out of the car
That's unfortunate, I was lucky on the return visit it just happened nobody was working. Give it another go :thumb

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Very nice coverage. I do like that honey comb ceiling. There are some great original features here. Lets hope re development isnt too harsh on absolutely everything.

Wastelandr

Regular User
Very nice coverage. I do like that honey comb ceiling. There are some great original features here. Lets hope re development isnt too harsh on absolutely everything.
Thanks alot, yeah not really sure what the converted sections look like inside. Would be good if they at least kept the ceiling

Who has read this thread (Total: 299) View details