real time web analytics
Report - - St Joseph's Orphanage - Preston - Jan 2013 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Joseph's Orphanage - Preston - Jan 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
Thought i might as well whack mine up and get it out of the way, I’ve been after this one for a long while, once I knew it was on well i wasn't going to miss it this time, big thanks to Scrappy for the heads up.
Most of it is not surviving too well but the Theatres and Chapel are still nice.

Visited with Ojay​

History.....

St. Joseph’s Orphanage was built and partially endowed by a local Catholic lady – the lake Mrs. Maria Holland – in 1872. The Orphanage was solely for Roman Catholic orphan girls and they were instructed and generally looked after by nuns.
Mr.R.W.Hughes, formerly of Preston, was the architect of the St Joseph’s Institute building which was built onto the eastern side of the orphanage in 1877.
Immediately adjoining, the Orphanage, there is St Joseph’s Institute for the Sick Poor. This building, which has its front in Mount-street, was erected out of funds bequeathed for the purpose by Mrs. Holland – the lady who erected the Orphanage, and it was opened in 1877.
It was for Roman Catholics and was maintained by voluntary contributions and attended gratuitously, by local medical gentlemen. There was accommodation at this Institute for about 25 patients.

• Mount Street Hospital received its first operating theatre in 1910
• In World War 1 it housed wounded British and Belgian soliders
• A new wing was added to the Hospital in 1933
• In World War 2 it was used to care for Dutch and Belgian sailors
• Another new wing was opened in 1958 by Princess Marina the Duchess of Kent
• The nuns who ran the orphanage were originally Dutch and called the Sisters of Charity of Our Lady Mother of Mercy

StJoes-6r.jpg

StJoes-4r.jpg
StJoes-7r.jpg

StJoes-2r.jpg

StJoesr.jpg

StJoes-3r.jpg

StJoes-8r.jpg
StJoes-19r.jpg

StJoes-18r.jpg

StJoes-5r.jpg

StJoes-9r.jpg
StJoes-16r.jpg