St Joseph's was started in 1872 as an orphanage for Roman Catholic girls.
after an endowment from Mrs Maria Holland who later died on 2nd February 1878.
later it was known as Mount Street Hospital.
Mr R W Hughes (formerly of Preston), was the architect of the building.
* Mount Street Hospital received its first operating theatre in 1910
* In World War 1 it housed wounded British and Belgian soliders
* A new wing was added to the Hospital in 1933
* In World War 2 it was used to care for Dutch and Belgian sailors
* Another new wing was opened in 1958 by Princess Marina the Duchess of Kent
* The nuns who ran the orphanage were originally Dutch and called the Sisters of Charity of Our Lady Mother of Mercy.