real time web analytics
Report - - St Raphael's Roman Catholic Church - Millbrook - May 2018 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Raphael's Roman Catholic Church - Millbrook - May 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
Dalle de Verre
“Glass Slab”
R2.png

Right, so... St Raphael is one of the seven Archangels and the patron saint of travelers, the blind, poorly people, happy meetings, nurses, physicians and medical workers. Basically, when Boris Johnson claps for the NHS and doesn't give nurses a pay rise, St Raphael is going to be the one kicking his fat arse back through the pearly gates, sending him plummeting down to spend eternity watching YouTube Videos. And, if he's the patron saint of travellers, he's bound to have a decent left hook. I do not not fancy Boris’ chances.

If it wasn't for St Raphael, there probably wouldn't be a St Raphael's church, like this Roman Catholic one, built in 1960 in MIllbrook. They would probably just have called it something else though. It seems it was ordered by The Right Reverend John A Murphy. The architect (not to be confused with archangel - totally different jobs) was Edward J Massey of Massey and Massey and I can't find out much about them on Google. But! And this is a big but... don't lie, you like big buts... the screen of dalle de verre (French for glass slab) which headlines this report, is the most remarkable feature of the church. That was designed by Pierre Fourmaintraux, who carried out a range of work including St Augustine's church in London, New Zealand's Hall of Memory and Christ Church in Coventry. St Raphael's Church is Grade II listed, which followed an unsuccessful attempt to knock it down.

The explore
I haven't much to say about this one. @The Lone Ranger gave me a heads up on it after he found it open and I popped along with a brewdog induced hangover, had a mooch about, took some photos and did a cartwheel on the altar. It was a nice mooch. It was an even better cartwheel. Wish I'd known about Raphael's left hook before I did that, though.

r6.png

R1.png

r4.png

r5.png

r7.png

r9.png

r10.png

r8.png

La Fin​

Last edited:

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
That glasswork is great, the end of the pews almost look like a sarcophagus. Strange ceiling but lots of light.
Nice mooch.

Jane Doe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The stained glass is lovely , i do really like that as it looks really "busy "inside , quite a change from an old church :)