real time web analytics
Report - - St.Thomas Hospital, Stockport - January 2015 - Night visit | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St.Thomas Hospital, Stockport - January 2015 - Night visit

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Reich

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Intro
I was invited out by Coolboyslim, when he popped up to me he said he was with his missus and a friend; I knew that this chance wouldn't come every so often as to the fact that the building is being slowly knocked down! So it would be a shame to miss this place!

History
The hospital, in Shaw Heath, has treated thousands of older people and psychiatric patients on the NHS and was first a workhouse, opening its doors on Christmas Day 1841. But it has fallen into disrepair and there are now plans to turn its partly listed buildings into a GP super-centre, with the historic clock tower section becoming flats for first-time buyers. The hospital closed in 2003.

The Visit
This visit went rather well, I drove down into Stockport to meet Coolboyslim on the main road somewhere near the Hospital; once met, we made our way into the side of the hospital that held the cathedral and the morgue. We went from building to building individually trying to find the best rooms that still had equipment, unfortunately anything that would have been left had gone along time ago! In one of the buildings on the basement level there was a rather long tunnel around 25-30M long, .6M high roughly enough to crouch through; we all started to go down with me infront until we could smell asbestos! We all went back and I got the opportunity to wear the mask since this being the first time I had worn one, it was abit odd; I went down to the end of the tunnel and got to the corner of it, unfortunately i wasn't in crawling clothes so I turned around, also my breathing was starting to get faster so didn't wanna hyper!​

The Clocktower
IMG_2381.jpg

One of the floors collapsed at some point!
IMG_2410.jpg

Elevator like something out of Silent Hill
IMG_2431.jpg

Elevator Motors
IMG_2416.jpg

What we expect used to be a padded cell
IMG_2391.jpg

Just a window with beautiful nature getting around to its business!
IMG_2386.jpg

The backup diesel generator I'm guessing
IMG_2379.jpg

Inside the morgue freezers :) got a few pictures lying inside these ;)
IMG_2377.jpg

Mould creeping in a little
IMG_2368.jpg

Sometimes patients would sit at the end of corridors and prop there chair so that when the place got closed down it would make a great photo op!
IMG_2362.jpg

Paint slowly peeling
IMG_2357.jpg

Thanks for reading and having a look :') more to come soon!

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I'm surprised this place wasn't pulled down years ago, I remember poking about in there in 2006 or something with some mates and it was in bad shape then!

Anyone know of a reason why it's still standing and the land not re-developed ?

Reich

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I'm surprised this place wasn't pulled down years ago, I remember poking about in there in 2006 or something with some mates and it was in bad shape then!

Anyone know of a reason why it's still standing and the land not re-developed ?

As far as I knew one of the unis bought it and then ran out of money for it, apart from that there's builders taking it down slowly!

Bigian88

The Massive Mancunian
28DL Full Member
As far as I knew one of the unis bought it and then ran out of money for it, apart from that there's builders taking it down slowly!

Stockport college originally. The main clocktower building looks as if it had some recent work done to it on the inside as the floors look fairly new

Reich

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Stockport college originally. The main clocktower building looks as if it had some recent work done to it on the inside as the floors look fairly new

Aye if you go down into the padded room and look up you can see fresh timber!

FreshFingers

Choose life, choose tunnels
Regular User
I may be missing a joke...that isn't a padded cell, it's a 'tanking' fit out for waterproofing. Sorry to disappoint

FreshFingers

Regular User
The smell you could errrr smell, would have been coal. I think you may have been in the basement section that had hopper style sections in, had a big gas meter in the first bit?

Reich

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
No dont think it was that one, it was in the building next to the morgue, the one with the conservatory! it had spikes coming out the wall that caught your arms

FreshFingers

Regular User
Ahh never seen that stuff before, I was told it was a padded cell! ahwell :(

Haha, yeah sorry. It'd be nice to think it was something along those lines. Although a sorry shell, if you read deep into the history of Workhouses, it's a great place to walk around and imagine the pain and suffering people experienced in that very bit of floor your stood on. That maybe just me though, I'm weird like that :(

Last edited:

Reich

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Haha, yeah sorry. It'd be nice to think it was something along those lines. Although a sorry shell, if you read deep into the history of Workhouses, it's a great place just to walk around and imagine the pain and suffering people experienced it that very but of floor your stood on. That maybe just me though, I'm weird like that :(

When I was in camelot I was thinking about how it must have been with people running around!

FreshFingers

Regular User
No dont think it was that one, it was in the building next to the morgue, the one with the conservatory! it had spikes coming out the wall that caught your arms

Ah, righto. They were sealed when we had a poke n jiggle.

FreshFingers

Regular User

I recall that they had the initial funding to redevelop, but subsequently had it plugged due to other shortfalls and developments, new motor college I assume, so the whole lot was halted. I assume they want to retain the land, but don't have the kitty for any other works.