real time web analytics
Report - - Stallington Hall Hospital, a decade of decay 2006 - 2015 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Stallington Hall Hospital, a decade of decay 2006 - 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Built in the late 18th century and originally called Stallington grange the 3 storey building is grade II listed and has been left abandoned since the hospitals closure in 1997. Once a private home to Staffordshire MP Bart Smith Child, his wife Sarah, his daughter Elizabeth and eleven staff in 1881, he left the house to his grandson Sir Hill Child upon his death who later sold it to the city of Stoke-On-Trent in 1924.

The NHS do not have a good track record with historic properties, generally abusing them and leaving them to rot and burn when they are done with them. Stallington's story is perfectly paralleled by that of Great Barr Hall near Walsall, in both cases the buildings are now little more than ruins despite the fact they were still functional buildings when the hospitals closed.

I find it a bitter irony that the conversion to hospital helped preserve the buildings during the huge decline of the country pile, only to end up ruinous when we should know better!

OT and I had a good mooch in 2006, and despite a fire in the upper floor, the hall was still in state of dereliction rather than ruin. Fast forward almost ten years and the weather has virtually destroyed the place. Most of the upper floors have collapsed and the Jacobean panels and columns have all but rotted away.

I find these places very interesting indeed.... It's just amazing that such antiquity, such stunning craftsmanship could ever be left to get into this state. As I continue to restore my own Victorian property I begin to understand the skill and craftsmanship that went in to making these buildings, and the epic task it would be to ever bring them back. I think Stallington's hope of restoration are very slim indeed.

DSC_0398_zpsukia4dh3.jpg

DSC_0391_zpsdzt9curb.jpg
DSC_0379_zps5eocmzgl.jpg

DSC_0386_zpsicezxy3h.jpg

DSC_0382_zpsrtxsemoj.jpg

DSC_0380_zpso2ootowr.jpg

Scrap of incredibly old wallpaper which was behind the paneling
DSC_0374_zpsaqiwq0ab.jpg
DSC_0370_zpsni9sl0uj.jpg

DSC_0363_zpsih567kvc.jpg

DSC_0368_zpschy8jui7.jpg
DSC_0354_zpsub0ipqgr.jpg

DSC_0362_zpsqmyvdckj.jpg

200 year old paneling
DSC_0359_zpsjkzlqojd.jpg

DSC_0351_zpsmyls39gh.jpg

DSC_0347_zpsskq9irt3.jpg
DSC_0344_zpsnuvwufz0.jpg

DSC_0343_zpscglnthob.jpg

DSC_0341_zps77djwani.jpg

DSC_0337_zps1i2ozbfi.jpg

ThisWay

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for the photos. It's interesting (and very sad) to see the decay over the past 10 years. I went here myself a few months ago but wasn't brave enough to climb into the grounds with all the houses that backed onto it.

Urbexbandoned

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for posting. You can really see the grandeur of the place from 06 if you can see past the dereliction. Such a shame it's fallen in to disrepair like this.

hamtagger

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Shame to see the fuckedness nowadays but great to see the comparison shots from ages ago, enjoyed viewing this :)

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Yeah it's gone downhill massively. It's a disgrace that the developers didn't get it sorted before building the rest of the estate, would have made a premium house or apartments. Removing that already knackered plasterboard absolutely had to be done, to find the stairs to nowhere.

megscasto44

28DL Member
28DL Member
Vandals removing the perfectly serviceable plasterboard! :p
hi sorry to bother u but can some one gie me any diresctions to this place ive looked on google and all that came up was the stallington farm, i would love to go there thanks,
great site by the way

Jj0

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It's incredibly sad how beautiful buildings are allowed to rot away only to be replaced by soulless boxes. :(

Melzie

28DL Member
28DL Member
I went to find this place yesterday using a postcode off Google and it took us to a new build housing estate. Will try the postcode you've posted. Thanks.

Paddy B

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi

New here!

Having seen a 'Snapper Squad' article in the local rag (The Sentinel) on Stallington Hospital and then coming across this site in search of more info on the place, I took the plunge with a pal a few days ago and went to have a look and to give my camera a workout. What a place and a crying shame!

Melzie

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi

New here!

Having seen a 'Snapper Squad' article in the local rag (The Sentinel) on Stallington Hospital and then coming across this site in search of more info on the place, I took the plunge with a pal a few days ago and went to have a look and to give my camera a workout. What a place and a crying shame!
Ahhh it's still worth a look then even with the sentinel pointing it out to the public?

Who has read this thread (Total: 156) View details