real time web analytics
Report - - Stanford Reservoir - April 2016 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Stanford Reservoir - April 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

UrbanCaving

Sewer Rat
28DL Full Member
Explored with JuJu

The area around my self seem to have quite a number of little reservoirs. Most of them the overflow is clearly visible on satellite view. But that did not deter myself and JuJu from taking a casual drive around on a sunny Saturday afternoon in the off-chance that we would find at least a small shitty draw off tunnel.

We ended up looking at only 3 before it starting pissing it down and only one of them had something slightly exciting to offer...

Stanford Reservoir:
The reservoir was constructed and formed by flooding a small valley between the villages of South Kilworth and Stanford in the years between 1928 and 1930 by the Rugby Corporation Water Department; as a supply of drinking water for the town of Rugby, some 16 kilometers downstream. Whilst the reservoir still performs this function it is now used as a top-up for the much larger Draycote Water, some 24 kilometers to the south-west which was constructed in 1967. The reservoir is now managed by Severn Trent Water Authority.
This took us a good amount of walking to get too. in hindsight we should have just dumped the car outside of the house at the end of what appeared to be a private driveway. As not to be too bait we parked some distance away... we knew it was worth it as we saw a big gaping hole!

20160416_184346_zpsuhttogfj.jpg

So a pleasant walk around the reservoir, and we bump into an angler, who tells us that were only allowed to be near the reservoir with a permit issued by Severn Trent. Oh well.. so we carry on our quite muddy and probably more effort than needed walk.

20160416_1803010_zpstq9k6u9d.jpg

This walk seems to go on for quite some time, I think I massively underestimated the distance between the portal and the car. But it wasn't too long after the fisherman that we heard the rushing of a weir which formed part of the reservoirs overflow.

20160416_181247_zpsaecyf0o4.jpg

A couple of little bridges to cross and we get to the overflow channel which runs behind the reservoirs wall..

IMG_0906_zpsa7kiuduf.jpg

We eventually get to the portal that is photographed further up this report and make our way into quite a spacious 250M long tunnel, that has a left turn inside of it.

IMG_0913_zpszqkrskfm.jpg

IMG_0909_zpsoxi5pzrd.jpg

IMG_0911_zpsboesrqhe.jpg

As you notice on the inside of the tunnel, and close to the draw off tower it is gated. I don't quite understand why they would gate the tunnel that far in when they could have gated up the portal.

And here is the draw off tower it self.

20160416_184843_zpsbyo7uf0c.jpg

We opted a slightly different walk back, over an old disused railway line, and on the way back we met one of the strangest guys... on a field in the middle of nowhere, a key chewing, could hardly understand a word he said type of bloke appeared and started asking us about the reservoir and once again telling us we need a permit to be there. He must have also walked a very long way, but what a strange bloke.

UrbanCaving

Sewer Rat
28DL Full Member
He he thank you. I never left lol just been a bit busy with life. Which has meant a lot of time to research :)
I have plenty of new finds coming this year ;)