Web
Analytics
Report - - Stantons Foundry, Ilkeston - February 2009 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Stantons Foundry, Ilkeston - February 2009

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Brief history... maybe the briefest ever...

...the last pipe was cast on May 24, 2007. The last of the 185 production workers at the pipe-making factory walked out of the gates for the final time.
So there you have it. Previous reports here and elsewhere made this an explore I couldn't miss, eventually I got the chance.

Anyway, I was quite surprised to see yellow coats milling around, and a bit of traffic around the site as well. I got in OK, and at first I was surprised by the number of lights that were switched on.

First stop was the enormous cranes. I've seen smaller sports stadiums, seriously...

IMG_5731.jpg

By far the largest crane I have ever seen...

IMG_5740.jpg

IMG_5741.jpg

IMG_5734.jpg

The view from the crane gantry. Notice all the cupolas. There are two sets here, one for each furnace (so I was told). When full, these were loaded by the cranes onto railway wagons to go to the works next door...

IMG_5737.jpg

IMG_5738.jpg

The bottom of a blast furnace...

IMG_5745.jpg

and the blast furnace control room...

IMG_5750.jpg

So I'd been here for a couple of hours now, and went downstairs...

IMG_5753.jpg

and just as I was taking this picture it all went wrong...

IMG_5754.jpg

A bloke in a yellow coat appeared on the stairs and was coming towards me. Turned out he was a surveyor (more on that later). He really wanted me to leave, and I really wanted to stay. Final words from each of us was "We never saw each other, OK ;) "

So I made my way to the next shed, where there is an automated, suspended production line, much like we saw at Longbridge...

IMG_5758.jpg

Well what really sucked is that I had been shopped to security, who appeared right underneath me. Nice enough guy though and quite professional. He wanted to know how I got in, but I couldn't remember :confused despite looking for a while :rolleyes:

So that was it. Out of the front gates, and denied seeing any more of the site. Mind you, it was still a good explore. Industrial epicness on a great scale.

A point to note, the site is currently undergoing asbestos surveys, and a security survey, prior to demolition. I also hear that it's going to be well secured in the next two weeks.

Attachments