real time web analytics
Report - - Stirchley swimming baths, Birmingham - 11/7/09 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Stirchley swimming baths, Birmingham - 11/7/09

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

bubblehead

you lost the game
28DL Full Member
With the missus getting up early to take her sister to the airport i thought it would be a good time to get down to the baths to finally take a look for myself. Been a long time coming since the coucil let us have a quick poke in the door just to wet our appitites. This place holds some memories for me as i used to swim here as a child so it was good to have a decent look again.

The baths opened in 1911 by King's Norton and Northfield district council along with the bournbrook baths, where i learnt to swim. They contained a rather unique feature in their day that they used aerated and filtered water from the mains supply rather than an on-site well.

It's such a shame that this place, grade2 listed, has been left to get so bad. A fire in the wood panelled reception are some years ago did a fair bit of damage. Having spoken to a member of the council on its day last year i was told they had pretty much pushed the responsibilty of it's upkeep to the Bourville Village Trust, who in turn haven't done much seeing as the council still owned.

DSC_3121.jpg

Pitiful external shot but the only one i took today, i'm sure i've got a better one buried on the HD.

DSC_3059.jpg

DSC_3069.jpg
DSC_3104.jpg

DSC_3089.jpg

DSC_3110.jpg

DSC_3102.jpg
DSC_3061.jpg

DSC_3068.jpg

DSC_3086.jpg
DSC_3083.jpg

DSC_3065.jpg

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
:thumb great shots mate! the swimming baths on beverley road in hull is very similar inside, although still open. i love the open roof structure on these old baths. thanks......... bug

The Engineer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Such a shame the state of it, was there with the council some 6 months ago. Very nice photo's......

virusman26

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice one. I'm well into seeing this place, as it's 5 minutes from my front door. Have had a few walks around it, but never really spotted any un-obvious ways in.
Top shots from inside, it looks superb!
The place is being fought over at the moment by a few supermarket owners. The land to the rear of the baths is going to be used for a new supermarket and the facade should be saved.
Then again, Sainsbury's said that about the Battery and Metal Co.:crazy

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice photos mate, I would like to see it in daylight at some point...

Was it a nice baths when it was open?

Emma2121

28DL Member
28DL Member
This is where I learned to swim as I lived around the corner. Loved looking at these pics, some great shots. :thumb