real time web analytics
Report - - Stretford Memorial Hospital, Manchester - November 2018 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Stretford Memorial Hospital, Manchester - November 2018

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Stopped here on my way back down south from my recent Scotland trip. I added this to my list after seeing the report by @UrbandonedTeam so thought fuck it I might as well swing by and see how it is looking now. The place has been ransacked by the metal fairies and the local young'uns are now making good use of the place as a local hang out spot. A friend of mine just happened to visit a few days before I did, and he sent me a pic of a chav casually stripping a presumably stolen bike right outside the hospital. I had the place to myself for a good couple of hours though.

History (yoinked from @UrbandonedTeam)

During the First World War, this hospital and another was established in Manchester as a Red Cross Hospital. Once the war was over and they were closed, the Stretford Division of the Red Cross had been left with £7,000. It was decided to form a District Nursing Service; the Trust was founded in 1919 and administered by the Stretford Red Cross. Stretford Urban District Council subsequently wanted to get involved in this work, as part of the Local War Memorial Scheme. The service was enlarged to cover the whole Stretford District but there was a growing need for a hospital service in the district. In 1925, the Trust purchased Basford House Red Cross Hospital on Seymour Grove which had recently closed. The building was adapted to feature a female ward block and a maternity unit. Following this, funds were raised to institute a male ward block in 1931.

The Stretford Council paid for a number of maternity beds to be maintained. Patients were admitted upon recommendation by their own medical practitioner, who would continue to attend them in the hospital. Patients paid for their treatment, but their ability to pay was taken into account. The hospital joined the NHS as an acute hospital. The Hospital was closed between 1983 and 1985, before reopening as a Geriatric Hospital. In 1996 it formed part of Trafford Healthcare NHS Trust.

The hospital closed in 2015 due to overcrowding.

9uFTR7Wh.jpg

4pre9flh.jpg

JBhZXW4h.jpg

pLbvoj1h.jpg

Hpdn20eh.jpg

L1AjSTNh.jpg

CJ6xZ4rh.jpg

XkVGKeOh.jpg

jIvHrw6h.jpg

BUu1pIEh.jpg

Wi9YfOVh.jpg

avcSRCfh.jpg

TQ1BDOMh.jpg

Qu6eMRgh.jpg

9Lv9qqXh.jpg

4yb8zKgh.jpg

eQswooKh.jpg

O7MtkbWh.jpg

OWQ3o48h.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Six

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good report!
Looks like there's still enough in there to make for an interesting wander!

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Good report!
Looks like there's still enough in there to make for an interesting wander!
Yeah still some decent bits to see, but I would've been totally fucked off if I'd driven all the way from Brighton for it though! 90% of the place is just a mess but it was a nicer way to have a break from the drive than chilling at the motorway services!

Luke vaughan

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I
Yeah still some decent bits to see, but I would've been totally fucked off if I'd driven all the way from Brighton for it though! 90% of the place is just a mess but it was a nicer way to have a break from the drive than chilling at the motorway services!
I’m not asking for exact details of entry but was any climbing involved as I went to this 2 months bsck and tried every access point and had no luck at all

WOL

28DL Member
28DL Member
I was in there a few weeks ago, a lot of it has been trashed but still lots of interest.

The Explorer Returns

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Where have you encountered armed police?
Rottingdean school, neighbours told police we was setting fireworks off inside so police kicked the door in and put tasers and 2 of them have guns. Proper horrible experience being thrown to the floor and cuffed. After they realised we was doing nothing what they thought, they let us go and said sorry to us, they was embarrassed lol

Who has read this thread (Total: 441) View details