real time web analytics
Report - - Sunnyside Asylum, Montrose, Scotland | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

CapturedSoulImagesCari

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So, based on information here my husband and I drove the 40 mile trip down to Sunnyside on Saturday. First yeah parts are full of dog walking grandmothers (met a few, one was full of interesting information) and kids and families... then there was me, my husband and my camera equipment.

The place is very well bolted shut. Most of the myriad buildings are blocked off by fences but easy to climb if you’re dressed for it. After wandering a while we found one window that had been broken into, it even had some clothe draped over the edge for safer entry. That said with the amount of people wandering around I didn’t chance it.

Only took about 980 photos but it was killing me not to get inside. I’m an archeologist by education and training so I’ve always been adventurous for a girly girl. That said, I didn’t want the gathering of grannies to call police.

My husband, a GP, knows a bit about the hospital. He’d been in once before it closed in 2011 when his sister was training to be a neurological nurse down in Dundee. He said it was something special in its day.

Anyway if ANYONE has tips for entering please let me know. I’m short so not easy. Greatly would appreciate advice.

Photos I’ve edited so far are attached...

Thanks
Cari (@CapturedSoulImages)

67C9B0AF-F901-4461-B6F4-9AF17253A2B2.jpeg

A862C795-31CB-449E-8FA5-B18F5E93D389.jpeg

BA523B0B-1567-451A-A5D1-5C631BA99E9A.jpeg

A49FAB70-0C2C-4708-9BDA-8DF280753B37.jpeg

6C6B7176-8941-4CB8-BA46-FC6A65C172CE.jpeg

F8BCA7EC-28E7-4078-9E03-7A22F7F501E7.jpeg

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Just FYI, the locals have pretty much given up the vigilante thing. Over a year ago they would’ve called the police if they thought they saw a shadow in the window out of the corner of their eye. It’s the little bastards who keep smashing the place up they hate. You had a way in, you should’ve just lurked around and waited for everyone to disappear. Or gone back early the next day when nobody is around. Lots of people have travelled a long way and not had an opportunity like that.

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
I got a guided tour by one of the locals last time I was there, had missed a bit so was more than will to show me where it was. Left the dogs outside and went for a mooch for an hour or so. Exchanged the pleasantries by showing him a part he'd never got to. All locals have been great and have added to a visit by either mentioning hidden gems or telling interesting tales about the history or memories of the place.

Access changes so a few visits are probably the best option.

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I got a guided tour by one of the locals last time I was there, had missed a bit so was more than will to show me where it was. Left the dogs outside and went for a mooch for an hour or so. Exchanged the pleasantries by showing him a part he'd never got to. All locals have been great and have added to a visit by either mentioning hidden gems or telling interesting tales about the history or memories of the place.

Access changes so a few visits are probably the best option.
Yeah it was a big part of the community and employed a lot of the locals, everyone cares about it and wants to see the buildings saved not trashed. My home town is 15 miles away and I went to school with people who had relatives who worked there. It was a bit odd for them when people started going inside, now they realise people taking pics are not the problem. I got chatting to a couple of guys who work for Pert Bruce (they were nailing the place shut at the time) last year and they told me it was ghost hunters that were a big part of the problem. They come at night and open the place up looking for things that don't exist. Bastards eh!?

musley

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Looks really spooky, good luck getting in, would love to see it.

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
If i lived 40miles from here I’d be at it all the time had to drive from Manchester and got lucky. Good effort but get back their and try again it’s worth it.

Ronster84

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It’s not at all difficult to get in here. We travelled about an hour to get in and it didn’t take us long at all.

Watch out for the hired goons acting as security. Complete idiots. We met them on our way out after 2 hrs inside. Also met likeminded blokes inside which gave us a bit of a jump.

Fascinating inside, and easy to get into. Head back and get a proper look before it’s lost forever.

CapturedSoulImagesCari

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It’s not at all difficult to get in here. We travelled about an hour to get in and it didn’t take us long at all.

Watch out for the hired goons acting as security. Complete idiots. We met them on our way out after 2 hrs inside. Also met likeminded blokes inside which gave us a bit of a jump.

Fascinating inside, and easy to get into. Head back and get a proper look before it’s lost forever.

Thanks! Was wondering, says CCTV all over but it also says asbestos and as the husband said, that's a dead give away they aren't really monitoring the place. If they meant for people to really not enter, or had action sensor cameras and CCTV, why bother with asbestos signs? Things we take for granted, doctors know are B.S..

I would have heaved into the open/broken window but it was a sunny Saturday and oh my lord the amount of young teenagers looking for make out spots, families looking for fun, grandmothers walking their terriers and general random snoops made me feel very obvious if I'd just hopped into the only open window.

I KNOW I could have a field day inside. Also the buildings that were very badly fenced off were tempting. The fences were about as strong as tin foil. Ya can't really ban entry from a place that has parking and hordes of random visitors wandering around.