real time web analytics
Report - - Tate Modern Project - London - 2014 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Tate Modern Project - London - 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Gabe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Tate Modern is a modern art gallery located in London. It is Britain's national gallery of international modern art and forms part of the Tate group (together with Tate Britain, Tate Liverpool, Tate St Ives and Tate Online). It is the most-visited modern art gallery in the world, with around 4.7 million visitors per year. It is based in the former Bankside Power Station, in the Bankside area of the London Borough of Southwark. Tate holds the national collection of British art from 1900 to the present day and international modern and contemporary art.

It was also originally designed by Giles Gilbert Scott, you know, the fella who designed Battersea Power Station.

14995444188_e7995d2286_o.jpg

How it should look when finished.

I have had my eye on this for a while, I'm actually at the Tate regular enough to keep an eye on it. I know a few other Londoners hit the crane a while back. It recently dawned on me that i greatly prefer rooftops over cranes, i like the idea of watching a building grow from nothing until completion. I like the idea that in 10 or 15 years once I've retired from this urbex malarkey i could be wandering about and would be able to point out to the misses all the buildings i'd been top off in my more youthful days, maybe impress her, maybe get laid cause of it, can't really do that with a crane that hasn't been on site for 10 years. I must add i still like cranes.

14995373607_88c59ab2c3_z.jpg

I met up with The_Raw a while ago after another rooftop and showed him this place and suggested a way of entry only to be thwarted before we even really started, we headed elsewhere. Fast forward a bit and myself, The_Raw and extremeironing met up with a few lads from Norwich. This was the second of the night and after the delivery van had moved we bundled 7 of us over the fence just before the actual tourist bus of 40 people came round the corner. Everything went without a hitch for a while, i got bored and headed downstairs to try and find a way on to the actual Tate gallery roof, 3 others joined me, and 3 left the site. I thought i spotted a camera on the roof and alerted them to this but was told it was a floodlight, turned out it was a camera and had been spotted. Seemed like a good time to leave as i think something with so much money's worth of money inside probably wasn't a good place to be caught.

Just as we we were leaving we got word from the guys who had left that the site was now swarming with people and to get out, we ended up in our haste taking a different stairwell and ended up in the basement, slightly disorientated and lost we tried to head back upstairs to the ground floor but were stopped on several occasions by people at the top of the stairs. After about 30 minutes of being fucked, we decided we had to take one of the alarmed doors and the first door we tried just happened to open into a turbine hall. I don't think i will ever forget the look of horror on everyones faces, it was now time to get as far away from that door as possible, even worse than being caught on the roof would be being caught in the actual gallery. Next alarmed door we tried opened into a yard where we were found within seconds by someone very official, he then ushered the words "Boss, I've got them" into his radio. I wasn't gonna let this happen as i had work in the morning and one more push bar gate and we were running like the fucking wind.

Didn't seem that fun at the time, but seems a like a laugh now. I guess thats what its all about, right?

15181916795_b9c6394ce4_b.jpg

14995070878_310c699cf3_b.jpg

14994978300_29cba1f475_b.jpg

15158603616_1acf9e184d_b.jpg

15178601311_f343caec6b_b.jpg

14995002998_7133db1f81_b.jpg

14994890310_293d30f837_b.jpg

14994865470_e6232b21d1_b.jpg

And a cheeky pic from the roof of the actual Tate Gallery.

14994925528_94a94a843c_b.jpg

OliverT

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
nice work, gabe. I second what you say about rooftops over cranes, but more because walking up stairs isn't as boring as climbing a shit load of ladders.

Adders

living in a cold world
Regular User
Sounds fucking manic! Good work on getting away, and good work on the photos!

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Gettin' stuck in, some great pics you have for your troubles it would seem, that opening of the door into the turbine hall reminded me of something equally as comical with Gone and a few others years ago in Manc I'd almost forgot about.

Sometimes busts are inevitable and you'll get fuck all knowhere without trying

Well done :thumb

REEF

Getthegirlkillthebaddies
28DL Full Member
Ha Ha, good work.

Nice shot of Blue Fin house as well.

The_Raw

Staff member
Brilliant photos mate, it's a great location and nice one for pointing it out. I'm just glad that you guys realised it was the turbine hall as it looked like a massive place to run to me :D Doh

Who has read this thread (Total: 6) View details