real time web analytics
Report - - Tees Marshaling Yard Middlesbrough Teeside May 2019 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Tees Marshaling Yard Middlesbrough Teeside May 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MarkusCP87

Undiscovered locations in the UK
28DL Full Member
No idea why it has took me this long to post a report on this place, it's in need of a revist as at the time I only had my phone.
Always go past this place on my way to work and always wanted to have a nose about, this was my first taste of railway exploring and the places I have visted since have been better but i still like this.

History of the place.

Tees Marshalling Yard was a railway marshalling yard, used to separate railway wagons, located near Middlesbrough in North Yorkshire, Northern England.
In the mid 1950s as part of British Railways modernisation plan, projects were developed to centralise the marshalling of goods wagons and the associated servicing of steam locomotives at the UK's largest freight hubs.
Teesside had a number of marshaling yards servicing the coal mines and steel mills of Consett, West County Durham and North Yorkshire, as well as those for Middlesbrough Dock. The decision was hence taken to rationalise these to one yard, and in 1957 to the immediate west of Erimus, BR developed the new Tees Marshalling Yard and associated Thornaby TMD.Initially developed as a hump shunting facility, by the time construction was completed in 1963 wagon-shunting had been replaced by Containerisation and Merry-go-round trains, and hence hump shunting ceased.
However, with rationalisation in the local coal mining and steel making industry – particularly the closure of Consett Steel Works in 1980 – it closed in stages from 1985 with the run-down of rail freight in the area and Great Britain in general. Taken over by EWS (English, Welsh & Scottish railways) upon the privatisation of British Rail [which then became DB Schenker Rail (UK), with the closure of Middlesbrough Dock in 1980 and the development of Teesport further down stream, Thornaby became isolated from its main source of traffic.
The Down Yard is completely closed apart from the Down Staging sidings which remain open to all freight operators. The Up yard remains busy to this day shunting traffic for the nearby steel works and as an intermediary point for long distance flows. The Yard consists of Arrivals and Departures at the Thornaby end, numbered 1 to 5 for the Departures and 6 to 12 for the arrivals. There is then a shunt neck leading to 42 Primary sorting sidings. There is a small group of sidings called the Sectional Sidings which are used for wagon Maintenance and Locomotive Servicing. Thornaby Depot closed in 2008 and was demolished in 2011. Most of the track has been lifted, however the old Ash pits are used for wagon storage and there are some sidings to the south called the New Sidings which are used for the storage and maintenance of Tamping machines.

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Not a bad effort, shame so much of it has gone now especially the MPD i never thought they would demolish that. I think the plan was to build houses etc on the redundant land that seems to have fallen through now.

MarkusCP87

Undiscovered locations in the UK
28DL Full Member
Not a bad effort, shame so much of it has gone now especially the MPD i never thought they would demolish that. I think the plan was to build houses etc on the redundant land that seems to have fallen through now.
I need to do a revist at some point, always new graffiti appearing.

emotive69

cloak of invisibility
28DL Full Member
Good to see it again ! I did the Depot before it was demolished :)
nice photos !

Who has read this thread (Total: 195) View details