real time web analytics
Report - - Thames Water Bunker - Swindon - August 2016 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Thames Water Bunker - Swindon - August 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

silentwalker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History
A raised mound adjacent to a series of covered reservoirs at Blunsdon waterworks, conceals a large emergency control bunker built by Thames Water in 1987. At first glance the mound appears to be just another reservoir, but closer inspection reveals that a lightweight steel door set into one of the mound conceals a much heavier blast door a few feet behind it. At the west end of the bunker a deep vertical shaft with iron rungs in its wall gives access to another steel and concrete blast door sealing the emergency exit. Louvred concrete ventilation towers rising from the top of the mound serve an underground power-house.

Designed to hold 12 workers living for up to 30 days underground.

The Explore
Visited with @Porker of the night :thumb we were trying to find a different bunker and he came across this little beauty so happy days. Apart from being a bit water damaged the site is in really good shape! The original rechargeable torch wall mounts and torch itself were still in place which was great to see along with all the old decontamination shower manuals. The generator room was mint, not a mark in there. Great little wander indeed :D

On to the pictures,

1F_zpszlc69upf.jpg

Bunker_zpsaqc6icgi.jpg

4F_zps6aduroz3.jpg

3F_zpsp0rib6st.jpg

7F_zpsiglue028.jpg

6F_zpsoae4o79g.jpg

5F_zpsisx6zbue.jpg

8F_zpsf9czdtfb.jpg

9F_zpsdtakvdgy.jpg

2F_zps6rbjozzd.jpg

11F_zpsilbuezdz.jpg

Cheers for having a ganders :thumb

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Looks in slightly better shape than when I was there last year actually, no picture of the main room?

Being thin is a plus point for access lol

silentwalker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Looks in slightly better shape than when I was there last year actually, no picture of the main room?

Being thin is a plus point for access lol

Yeah I took two on the wide angle and they came out totally balls so left them out :banghead:D

silentwalker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
When I did it it had a chain and padlock but the door was bent just enough to be able to squeeze in, if its wide open now I'm also surprised it hasn't been utterly trashed.

That door has taken a battering that's for sure, we slid in through that way somehow and the emergency exit when we left :thumb