real time web analytics
Report - - The Carpenters Workshop, Norfolk : July 2023 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Carpenters Workshop, Norfolk : July 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
The Carpenters Workshop

Back to last summer for this one. Thanks to @Mikeymutt🐶 for showing us this one which both me and Dan have always wanted to see, especially as it's so local.

As expected there isn't any history on it, it's basically in someone's garden so it's an undocumented private construction. It was most likely constructed in the early part of the 1900s, there is a pile of letters in one of the outbuildings, most of which date back to that period.
The main building is an old Nissen hut, with a couple of wooden sheds joined to it. The main belt driven saw is inside the Nissen hut along with stacks of wood, there is a tiny room in the middle with a couple of electric motors, and a lovely big boiler. It was very difficult to photograph this room due to the harsh difference in lighting hence the lack of photos from this bit, even though it was probably my favourite section.

The buildings are so overgrown now, we had to battle through thorns to get to them. Since Mikeys initial report back from 2019, the roof of the Nissen hut has partially collapsed. Thoroughly enjoyed my time in here, it's like taking a step back in time what with all the old equipment. It was a very similar feeling to when I crawled through the hole in the wall at GB's, felt like you'd been transported back to the 19th century. There aren't many places like this left. It's a shame to see it deteriorate but I suppose it's natural, glad I got to see it before it's gone completely.

IMG_1632.jpg

IMG_1541.jpg

IMG_1543.jpg

IMG_1548.jpg

IMG_1557.jpg

IMG_1561.jpg

IMG_1551.jpg

IMG_1553.jpg

IMG_1565.jpg

IMG_1566.jpg

IMG_1572.jpg

Into the boiler / motor room
IMG_1574.jpg

IMG_1576.jpg

IMG_1601.jpg

IMG_1590.jpg

IMG_1578.jpg

Moving into a separate workshop room.
IMG_1609.jpg

IMG_1610.jpg

IMG_1611.jpg

Some of the letters, dates between 1922-23
IMG_1614.jpg

IMG_1615.jpg

IMG_1626.jpg

IMG_1625.jpg

IMG_1631.jpg

IMG_1634.jpg

IMG_1621.jpg

Finishing with a lovely window
IMG_1635.jpg

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Great stuff mate. Glad you finally got to see it. It's definatley not someone's garden though. It's in its own bit of land. Still one of my favourite locals.

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Great stuff mate. Glad you finally got to see it. It's definatley not someone's garden though. It's in its own bit of land. Still one of my favourite locals.
It's incredibly close proximity then. I thought it was to be honest.
I'd like to return when the sun ain't so harsh and photograph it again really.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Loved this place. Your pics came out better than mine, I struggled with the lighting and colours here tbh. I really like that first photo of the letters too.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Fantastic photos. What a great explore. Those shopping lists from 1922/23 are outstanding. Quality report.

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Loved this place. Your pics came out better than mine, I struggled with the lighting and colours here tbh. I really like that first photo of the letters too.
I know you did, I can remember your meltdown regarding them.
Really happy with the letters photo!