real time web analytics
Report - - The Chequers Hotel, Horley - June 2017 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Chequers Hotel, Horley - June 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

TheMig

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
First report on this forum for me and I believe the first report of this hotel. Its nice to explore a place that's relatively untouched and not completely trashed. I've driven past this site many times over the last few years and have always wanted to explore it but always seen active security with dogs.

Some history about the hotel;
Surrey

I stole this photo as it was pissing it down while we were there.
XXLYURT.jpg

There are two sections to the hotel - The old pub dating back to the 1500's and the new part which housed all of the bedrooms and function rooms.

The Chequers pub at the front is the public bar of this large 104 room hotel. This attractive bar dates from 1537 when it was a beer house for the village. It later became a coaching inn for a change of horses on the London to Brighton run.

The hotel closed suddenly with the loss of about 50 jobs.

The Menzies' Chequers Hotel, in Bonehurst Road, closed without notice when it could not be sold after parent company Menzies Hotel Group went into administration.

The Chequers could not be saved and staff and guests suddenly found themselves with nowhere to go.

The Explore;
We weren't planning on going in the building but just wanted to have a look around and find a way in for another day (hence the iphone pictures). After walking the perimeter we saw that there were lights on inside the old office near reception. We found a couple of potential ways in until we found a pretty obvious and easier way... We decided to just go for it as we hadn't seen any security (apart from their van out the front). The first thing we saw was the security companies first aid box sitting on the reception desk. We were unsure at this moment if their were any security inside the hotel so we were very quiet. We explored the hotel section first. Visited with Domf and Dis4bledDve.

Reception area
QwkQmgW.jpg

nexYHls.jpg

SPgToAm.jpg

Rear reception offices (used by security company)
NrwiuCd.jpg

4Obs4hs.jpg

New section
dqO2PAN.jpg

XLJCUDM.jpg

2pAlWAa.jpg

vIOyRPM.jpg

igXjou0.jpg

Kitchen/staff room
Ov0vpmm.jpg

sIPU3bi.jpg

KbBUype.jpg

Pub end of hotel
SpKG8qV.jpg

SAXeksz.jpg

x1jcBNm.jpg

b004Zjt.jpg

BIbzwe9.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:

Grom

Camera Drowner
Regular User
Dude! I've been eyeing this place up for ages and you go and beat everyone to it! Nice work! Will definitely have to go now.

Grom

Camera Drowner
Regular User
Dude! I've been eyeing this place up for ages and you go and beat everyone to it! Nice work! Will definitely have to go now.

TheMig

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Haha yeh cheers it's definitely worth it if you can get round the security.

domf

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There's plenty of cool features left in the old section, shame that some has been demolished and rebuilt on, would of been cool if there was a pool/gym there somewhere...

domf

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There's plenty of cool features left in the old section, shame that some has been demolished and rebuilt on, would of been cool if there was a pool/gym there somewhere...

RustyG

The world's most awkward urbexer...
28DL Full Member
Nice report mate! The place is litterally 5 mins from me, but being where it is I always assumed it would either be v well secured or smashed to fuck so I've never bothered checking it out. Looking at your pics though it's definitely worth a mooch!

domf

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Just been there amd spent 30 mins trying to get in do you know any entry points?
Was fairly easy when we visited, shouldn't have too much trouble finding entry, we were pretty sure that's how the security get in an out of the site so they may have locked the door?

TheMig

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Just been there amd spent 30 mins trying to get in do you know any entry points?
Was fairly easy when we visited, shouldn't have too much trouble finding entry, we were pretty sure that's how the security get in an out of the site so they may have locked the door?

It was almost as easy as walking in through the front door...

pepperplant

Luigi
28DL Full Member
You can still get in and its worth the visit, just go when workers aren't there. Some yobs smashed some windows, But mostly the fire doors and all the windows are left open for the plaster to dry