real time web analytics
Report - - The New Empire Theatre (The Rivoli), Southend-on-Sea - April 2015 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The New Empire Theatre (The Rivoli), Southend-on-Sea - April 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
The New Empire Theatre, located in Southend, was built on the site of a former pubic hall in 1896. The original hall which was owned by Frederick Marlow, a theatre impresario, was converted into The Empire Theatre in 1892 and it operated successfully up until Boxing Day 1895 when it was devastated by a fire. After the incident Marlow endeavoured to construct a much larger venue with electric lighting; this was to be The New Empire Theatre. Revamped, and with the latest technology at the time, the theatre became the first of its kind in Southend-on-Sea and, in 1896, at the time of its grand opening, it was considered ‘the prettiest theatre outside of London’ by local press. Appearances, though, do not assure the quality of the entertainment, therefore Marlow, who was attentive to this, aimed to provide a varied programme which contained musicals, opera, concerts and various plays, to reach out to a much wider audience. Unfortunately, however, Marlow only remained at the theatre until 1905, when it was purchased by the Southend-on-Sea Theatre Company Ltd.

By 1919 the advent of filmography (motion pictures) brought about many changes to Southend, forcing the theatre to close its doors for a short period while it was redeveloped and enlarged into a cinema – The Rivoli. The Rivoli thrived from 1921 to 1962, especially after installing new sound equipment to heighten the experience. However, by 1962, the site was taken over by the ABC cinema chain. Under new ownership the cinema underwent refurbishment, including the addition of an underground bar, which made use of The New Empire’s old passageways. The cinema managed to operate under ABC for a further 20 years and, in 1982, even succeeded in creating a second smaller screen room at the old Rivoli Mezzanine level. By 1998, though, business had diminished considerably, and the popularity of the cinema has declined. The last film was screened in February 1998, and afterwards the venue was declared closed. The cinema was used periodically after its closure, but its doors were permanently closed in 2002 when the owners fell into financial difficulty.

We arrived in Southend-on-Sea quite late one weekday afternoon, expecting to meet up with a fellow explorer and friend. That plan, however, failed and we ended up alone in foreign territory; there are many places that are far worse to be stranded in mind. So, despite the mishap, we set about wandering towards the nearest looking abandoned thing which turned out to be The New Empire Theatre, and within minutes of finding it we managed to find a way inside. But, unsure as to whether we should go grab a pizza and bring it back, or finish looking around and then go for the pizza, we stood in the mouldy bar for a while and eventually decided that it was in fact far too mouldy for pizza. We therefore decided crack on and grab the shots there and then; dinner would have to wait. Given that there are a spectacular number of abandoned theatres and cinemas across the UK, this one probably appears to be fairly run down, but its maze-like design keeps the whole explore quite interesting; for each time you reach a door you're unsure about what will be in the next room ahead. Moreover, it’s also possible to reach the rooftop in this explore and, although it’s just a small one, it allows you to take in the surrounding views of Southend-on-Sea from a slightly different angle.

Explored with Ford Mayhem and Deems.

1: The Display Board

WildBoyzET0_zps88ereffi.jpg

2: The Underground Theatre Bar

WildBoyzET2_zpsr2zurrv6.jpg

3: The Bar

WildBoyzET4_zpsvx1p48tq.jpg

4: Moudly Equipment Box

WildBoyzET5_zpsm29og8jc.jpg

5: Moudly Speakers

WildBoyzET6_zpshapqm1yv.jpg

6: Dated Furniture

WildBoyzET7_zpselwcjjzv.jpg

7: The Main Reception/Sales Area

WildBoyzET9_zpsdnd6q46h.jpg

8: Behind the Ticket Counter

WildBoyzET12_zpsv2erk8rc.jpg

9: Theatre/Cinema Main Doors

WildBoyzET13_zpshjzv1ezo.jpg

10: The First Screen Room

WildBoyzET14_zpshajgi1vz.jpg

11: Dark and Gloomy

WildBoyzET16_zpshqhguzvp.jpg

12: Piano

WildBoyzET17_zpsrh1nt9yw.jpg

13: Projector Room

WildBoyzET18_zpsrb070846.jpg

14: A New Performance - By the WildBoyz

WildBoyzET20_zpsax5wovdc.jpg

15: The Mirrored Room

WildBoyzET22_zpsku2iaq4y.jpg

16: Entering into the Second Screen Room

WildBoyzET23_zpswowpatdg.jpg

17: The Second Screen Room

WildBoyzET24_zpsltdkw89d.jpg

18: Second Screen Room (Front of Room Shot)

WildBoyzET28_zpsngbz4l9q.jpg

19: The Main Stage

WildBoyzET27_zps4tyzpm9p.jpg

20: On the Roof

WildBoyzET30_zpsfchlfja0.jpg

21: Southend-on-Sea by Night

WildBoyzET31_zpsvmk4p0lx.jpg

22: Some Sea

WildBoyzET32_zps8nhmxtdr.jpg

23: Leaving the Underground Passageways

WildBoyzET33_zps29ivmrez.jpg

24: External Street Shot

WildBoyzET34_zpsfr52xguj.jpg

Boomstick84

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice mate

Seems the bar area has opened up, the doors were all screwed shut when we went and it was the only bit we didn't manage to see so it's good to see that.

Liking the rootop shots too :thumb

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Thanks for all messages everyone :thumb

Nice mate

Seems the bar area has opened up, the doors were all screwed shut when we went and it was the only bit we didn't manage to see so it's good to see that.

Liking the rootop shots too :thumb

Yeah, the bar was all fully open. It's pretty moudly in there, but it was decent.

Distra

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report, I keep meaning to do this one when im in southend but work keeps getting in the way at the moment.

Just read in the local paper that some kids(12-13 years old) had to be rescued from the place by firemen on Thursday.
Apparently they got to the roof and were to scared to come back down, chances are the place will get nailed up tight.
Suppose I better get down there asap and see if its doable

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Nice report, I keep meaning to do this one when im in southend but work keeps getting in the way at the moment.

Just read in the local paper that some kids(12-13 years old) had to be rescued from the place by firemen on Thursday.
Apparently they got to the roof and were to scared to come back down, chances are the place will get nailed up tight.
Suppose I better get down there asap and see if its doable

Haha. The ladder was a bit wobbly when we went up there... Maybe it got worse? Probably get that soon very soon then, sounds like it'll get sealed tight.

Distra

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Too true. When I was reading it half of me was laughing my head off while the other half was saying why haven't you checked this out you plonker

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Too true. When I was reading it half of me was laughing my head off while the other half was saying why haven't you checked this out you plonker

Haha. It's not too bad in there either. Plenty to see still.