real time web analytics
Report - - The Pigeon Tower - Rivington, Chorley Jan 2015 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Pigeon Tower - Rivington, Chorley Jan 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Zebedee 666

28DL Member
28DL Member
A few pictures from my visit here early last year on a very rare occasion when access was possible! I'd always wanted too see inside here and view the fireplace on the top floor.

HIstory from Rivington Heritage Trust...

Lord Leverhulme is often regarded as Bolton's most famous son. His profile as an industrialist, philanthropist and progressive social influence shaped society throughout his lifetime and beyond. Rivington Terraced Gardens formed part of his legacy, and local people have likened it to his "Gracelands".

In 1913, his original residence, Roynton Cottage, burned to the ground following an arson attack by the Suffragette Edith Rigby of Preston. Lord Leverhulme then replaced the original cottage with a more substantial residence, "the Bungalow", which survived until after his death. With the outbreak of World War II, the Bungalow was requisitioned as a billet for wounded troops, and Nissen huts were erected in the grounds. The Bungalow's wartime residents were less than attentive to the Bungalow's upkeep during this period, and upon the cessation of hostilities the damage to the structure was such that Liverpool Corporation decided to demolish the building.

The Gardens fell into disrepair over the years, with woodland self seeding across the site. Large parts of the Gardens became inaccessible due to being choked with overgrown rhododendron , which was removed a few years ago, opening up parts of the Gardens again to public view.

From the outside..

DSC07025_zps7hiwdkvj.jpg

Stairwell.. hard to get far back enough to get a shot as its really small inside..

DSC07004_zps3seltkpk.jpg

DSC07008_zpspisibhog.jpg

The fireplace....

DSC06997_zpstr1ugc5o.jpg

DSC07002_zps9er4lkmm.jpg

Was strange how the place was full of butterflies too.. seen this in a few abandoned places at night time.

DSC07021_zpsp965mhch.jpg

DSC07009_zpsexpukn95.jpg

Couple of pics of the view from the top of the hill..

DSC07028_zpsu6vjma1j.jpg

DSC07026_zpswbefkicd.jpg

DSC07029_zpsqigzz6kk.jpg

Thanks for looking

Lavino

28DL Full Member
Been here many times as a kid just below are the Chinese gardens tho a little overgrown now. I've always wanted to see inside here. Good pics...

coolboyslim

Mr Reality Hacker
28DL Full Member
Only got to see in here once has a young kid. Great to see again. One of those if the door open things. Great stuff and like the butterfly.

Bertie Bollockbrains

There is no pain
Regular User
Nature is a passion of mine, so forgive me for my anorak reply.

Its the Peacock butterfly and strangely is a species that can be seen in flight in the UK at any time of the year. A quick look at the Butterfly Conservation website tells me that the first reported sighting in the UK for 2016 was on the 4th January. The Red Admiral, Comma and the Small Tortoiseshell butterfly can also be seen in flight at any time of the year, even in the depths of winter. Obviously most butterfly species will have very limited flight times during the warmer times of the year.

Xan_Asmodi

Cave Monster
28DL Full Member
Looks like a good mooch, cheers! Lets hope that they open Peel Tower up near Rammy soon.