real time web analytics
Report - - The RAM Brewery - London - October 2014 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The RAM Brewery - London - October 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

bhg

In Search of Lost Time
Regular User
We didn't really know what to expect inside. There aren't many interior pictures online. And the site itself is huge and it's really hard to navigate there, without being spotted. We managed to see the old part of brewery.

History:
The Young’s Brewery has been a familiar local landmark for both Wandsworth residents and visitors for over 150 years. Opened in 1831, the site has contributed much to the borough’s social and historic fabric.
In 1831, Charles Allen Young and his partner Anthony Fothergill Bainbridge bought the Ram Brewery site. The new partnership suffered a serious setback in 1832 when a disastrous fire destroyed most of the brewhouse, but it was quickly rebuilt and in 1835 a new beam engine was erected inside the brewery. It is thought to be the oldest working beam engine of its kind in the world still in working condition and in its original location. It and its sister engine built in 1867, provided steam power in the brewery right up until 1976.
In 1883 another fire, started in the offices, caused extensive damage to part of the brewery and the Ram Inn. Both were rebuilt the following year.A number of animals were resident in the brewery, including a ram, a number of geese and about a dozen working draught horses.
It is claimed that the Ram Brewery was the oldest British brewery in continuous operation. At its closure in 2006, the brewery was a mix of ancient and ultra-modern plant and horses and drays were still used for local deliveries of beer within a mile or two of the brewery.
The Ram Brewery officially closed on 25th September 2006.

Here are some pics (Kev's and mine). It was really hard to take any descent ones, most of the floors are covered in darkness and any light painting would be visible from outside - either busy road side or the security huts.

IMG_2904_zpsafd04430.jpg

IMG_2895_zps7b50ba7b.jpg

IMG_2896_zpse737e881.jpg

IMG_7118a_zpsb02efb49.jpg

IMG_2908_zps22dc7dc3.jpg

IMG_7127a_zpsb079eae3.jpg

IMG_7128a_zps56845347.jpg

IMG_7116a_zpse46f182f.jpg

IMG_7131a_zpsdc9a49e8.jpg

IMG_7129a_zps9981b743.jpg

IMG_2901_zpsd2e1e015.jpg

IMG_2900_zps3a725c04.jpg

IMG_2905_zpsf5a357d1.jpg

IMG_7122a_zps83ef08fa.jpg

IMG_2897_zps6e88e5e5.jpg

IMG_2909_zps7ad1256b.jpg

IMG_2898_zps2d2ce307.jpg

IMG_2903_zps0430fe86.jpg

IMG_2902_zps3a268992.jpg

IMG_2907_zps33c23ef1.jpg

IMG_2912_zps35b67da5.jpg

01708425-8553-406A-BF5E-3EB39773DCB1_zpslhykmxer.jpg

IMG_7115a_zps0b1a5ebe.jpg

Enjoy!

kevin arnold

28DL Member
28DL Full Member
Bit of a weird exploration that one. I've been interested in this place almost ever since I started exploring but kept postponing it, waiting for the access to become easier (like many others). When we finally got in, I had mixed feelings. After a few years of building up my expectations I thought I'd see something similar to that Belgian Stella Artois brewery but it just wasn't to be.

The demolition has started already although atm they're mainly taking apart the modern bits, like the warehouse in the northern part of the site. We managed to get into the oldest part, seen most of it and I thought it was alright but not as epic as I hoped. The place is dark which makes it harder to appreciate it and light painting all the shots was a right hassle. Also, it's partially stripped already, some bits of machinery are missing, some of the circular tanks are gone, leaving huge holes in the floors. It's difficult to say whether they were removed recently or earlier, as the place has been (mostly) disused for quite a while now. We took as many light painted shots as we had patience to, just to have enough material for a report and then wandered around, checking bits and bobs.

The chimney is just asking to be climbed too and in the end we didn't as it was getting bright. Hopefully someone will go for it in the near future...

slayaaaa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
That looks good, you got some nice pics :thumb

Good that someone got in to see it before it's gone. :)

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Considering the circumstances the pics have come out rather well, nice to see some good honest pics instead of some sharpened and edited to death perfections

The older bits look good here, can't beat a decent brewery, good effort peeps :thumb

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Well done guys, been years in the making this one. Might not have floated your boat exactly but looks exactly my kind of place so will be in touch!! :)

GAJ

Mr Muscle
28DL Full Member
Someone please go & get drunk in here for some 'piss up in a brewery' shots :D

Good stuff guys & nice to finally see inside this place :thumb

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Oh, what I would give for those tanks to be full...

That sign is awesome lol. Nice report! :thumb

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Under the lighting conditions id say them pics are decent enough..Back in the day id of loved a brewery explore to stagger about..Does look pretty good tho this :thumb

professor frink

Reppin Bumbaclaat
28DL Full Member
I remember seeing the horse deliveries, good work on getting this done,it's not exactly quiet where this place is :thumb

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Someone please go & get drunk in here for some 'piss up in a brewery' shots :D

When I got stopped here many years ago, I got taken to the security office at the main gate. A few minutes went by and some guy appeared and introduced himself as the Head Brewer type thing. In fact he was a former employee, subsequently employed by the new owners, DTZ I think it was, in order to carry on the brewing tradition. He had to brew a firkin a week or something along those lines, in order for the brewing to be maintained and the brewery to carry on as the oldest in Britain continuously brewing at the same site. The beer couldn't be sold because it hadn't gone through all the QA processes, but he said he would put on a tour and a pissup for a tenner a head. Never did get around to taking him up on the offer unfortunately.