real time web analytics
Report - - The Ski Village - Sheffield, April 2014 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Ski Village - Sheffield, April 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Jidell

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I know that this site has been done multiple times but i thought it was worth the report and the update :) This was on the 24th of April. The ski village was where i learnt to ski and was a fantastic place to have in Sheffield. It was believed to be the biggest artificial slopes in the whole of europe! The place now has deteriorated greatly since the main building was demolished along with the vandals that have ripped the slopes apart. a little bit of history below:

"Sheffield Ski Village was an artificial ski slope complex in the Parkwood Springs area of Sheffield, England until destroyed by fire in 2012. It was believed to be the largest artificial ski resort in Europe[1] with a sports shop, bar, restaurant and a range of slopes which include a Snowflex nursery slope, a dendix recreational slope and a freestyle park consisting of a half pipe, hip jump, kicker, a quarter pipe and various grind rails. "

Anyway, on with a sample of pictures I took!

The view from the bottom of the slopes
IMG_0141_zps2a66be94.jpg

The once thriving Adventure Play Area
IMG_0145_zps5d950887.jpg

Bottom of the derelict slope
IMG_0149_zpsd600bc7a.jpg

The View of Sheffield
IMG_0160_zps5378d8e4.jpg

The Top of the Slope
IMG_0167_zps33f3c656.jpg

The Mogul Section
IMG_0168_zps3de16a10.jpg

The Learning Slope
IMG_0177_zps99dbeb0a.jpg

Any suggestions welcome!
Jack

Last edited:

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice work. Was here myself with a few friends not long ago. Don't know about you but we lost about an hour trying to surf bin lids and tea trays down what's left of the slopes!

Jidell

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Its a great spot, we long vast amount of times on bin lids, even found an old sledge and went down the old toboggan track hahaha good times here!! :)

super nerris

On A Mission....
28DL Full Member
Nice pics Jidell, shame the site has got to this stage, I remember learning to ski here a child!
I did my first post on this place also was a nice start to get into it, there were a couple rolling tires down from the top when we arrived haha

Jidell

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thankyou Super Nerris! Im the same as you, if this wasn't here i probably wouldn't have learnt to ski! its such a shame really, i hope that they make something of it any maybe build a new ski village, that rumour is up in the air at the minute! we had a great time aswell :)

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Apparently the owners are keen to have houses built on the site I hear. Be much better for a fresh ski village or dirt bike arena or similar in my opinion.

Jidell

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Really? That would be such a shame :( ! I would prefer a new ski village or a dirt bike arena!! Hope they make something of the land; at the end if the day they can only spend the money once :)

andyg1983

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
They have been ordered to halt plans at the min for housing, for a change the useless SCC seem to be on the side of the public and not the money men, first time for everything!

There was talk about Steve Peat trying to get the lease and combine the Parkwood Springs MTB trail in to this place and make it a full mountain/dirt/downhill bike centre (Bike champ unveils plans for Sheffield Ski Village | Look Local) He had built a track that runs from the right hand side of the slope (stood at top looking down) that ran along side the slope. Video of it can be seen here: Action Cameras - Drift HD170 at The Sheffield Ski Village with Steve Peat Syndicate ( NOT YET OPEN TO PUBLIC) // Mountain Biking Videos on Mpora

Fingers crossed they can get this sorted!

Jidell

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I hope it does get sorted and sheffield has something spectacular again! :)

Who has read this thread (Total: 4) View details