real time web analytics
Report - - The Sound of the Underground-Abandoned Metro Stations, Paris 07/02/09 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Sound of the Underground-Abandoned Metro Stations, Paris 07/02/09

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Rookinella

I should have danced all night
28DL Full Member
When Girls Aloud sung their top ten hit, "The Sound of the Underground", they couldn't have got it more wrong. The Metro doesn't sound like five skinny girls dressed in shiny lycra outfits. It is grubby, screeching, rumbling and dark-oh and did I mention fantastic? :eek:

Over the four days that me and Scott were in Paris, we did all the usual things that couples do when going on a romantic mini break like hijacking the driver's cabs, dodging the third rail so as to not get fried, running down sewers in trainers and generally getting up to no good.

Our first experience of the hidden parts of the Metro were a breezy tunnel where trains ran about every two minutes which gave us just enough time to leave foreign coins on the tracks and then spend the next ten minutes trying to find where they landed when they got squished.

"Have you got any money for a drink?"

"No, my currency is all squashed" :(

The noise is just incredible and even when you are in the abandoned parts, it feels like a train is coming straight for you. It is very nerve-wracking and knowing that at all times, you are approximately two feet away from death is enough to keep you on your toes.

You also develop a healthy "metro glow" which isn't actually a glow at all. You come out with a face like a chimney sweep and black hands and you wonder why everyone is giving you funny looks as you stand innocently on the platform waiting for a legitimate journey home.

Our time in Paris seemed to whizz by and I can't wait to go back and experience even more of this crazy underground system. Jumping barriers, riding in between the connecting trains and sitting in the driver's seat is what gets your blood pumping-there's no doubt about that:thumb

These are photos of the first mission down the metro which included one abandoned station which I'm going to call Les Bananapouletpoisson because I can't remember what it was called or what region it was in.

ParisPics014.jpg

ParisPics017.jpg

ParisPics020.jpg

ParisPics021.jpg

ParisPics023.jpg

ParisPics024.jpg

ParisPics025.jpg

ParisPics026.jpg

ParisPics027.jpg

ParisPics028.jpg

ParisPics029.jpg

ParisPics036.jpg

ParisPics038.jpg

ParisPics043.jpg

ParisPics045.jpg

Rookinella

28DL Full Member
Re: The Sound of the Underground-Abandoned Metro Stations, Paris 07/02/09 REPORT

Some more photos-special thanks must go to the Plastic Menagerie which was just awesome and without which, none of this would have been possible:thumb

ParisPics302.jpg

ParisPics305.jpg

ParisPics309.jpg

ParisPics311.jpg

ParisPics313.jpg

ParisPics314.jpg

ParisPics315.jpg

ParisPics316.jpg

ParisPics317.jpg

ParisPics318.jpg

ParisPics322.jpg

ParisPics323.jpg

ParisPics324.jpg

ParisPics325.jpg

ParisPics330.jpg

ParisPics337.jpg

Rookinella

28DL Full Member
Re: The Sound of the Underground-Abandoned Metro Stations, Paris 07/02/09 REPORT

For those of you who wanted to see the squashed coins, here they are. My Mum was like "Roo what are all these funny coins in your pocket?" (she bullied me into washing my red coat) She said that she used to do that on the Bristol to London trainline when she lived next to the railway:)

Sorry if the pics are a bit wobbly, got the shakes and couldn't be arsed with a tripod.

DSC_0109-600.jpg

DSC_0110-600.jpg

DSC_0111-600.jpg

DSC_0112-600.jpg

DSC_0113-600.jpg