real time web analytics
Report - - Tiviot Dale Tunnel, Stockport - January 2022 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Tunnel Gricer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Tiviot Dale Tunnel, Stockport - January 2022.

Tiviot Dale Tunnel - 252 Yards.

Teviot Dale Station was opened on 1st December 1865 by Stockport, Timperley and Altrincham Junction Railway, although it was locally referred to as Tiviot Dale and the name was changed to reflect this in 1874. The station operated until January 1967 when it was permanently closed. The line continued to operate for freight trains as part of the route from the Woodhead line to Liverpool, one of the main uses of the line was transporting coal from South Yorkshire to Fiddler’s Ferry Power Station near Warrington.

[ Above image shows Tiviot Dale Tunnel (Highlighted Yellow) and the route (Highlighted Red) circa 1900 ]
[ Below is a wider view of the area surrounding Tiviot Dale ]

Tiviot Dale tunnel is 252 Yards long and cut into the Sandstone / Bedrock underneath Stockport, it passes underneath the Air-raid shelters of nearby Dodgehill, and is adjacent to the M60 motorway which runs alongside it. In 1980 the tunnel which is situated to the west end of the station, was damaged during construction on the M63 (now the M60 ring road) and was temporarily closed due to safety concerns. After the closure of the Woodhead route between Hadfield and Penistone in 1981 the Tiviot line lost most of its traffic and was subsequently closed for good. The track was lifted and the tunnel filled in 1986. The section of the tunnel that runs beneath the church was reinforced with a girder structure to prevent collapse.

1) Looking west towards the portal around 60/80yards has been infilled with rubble.

2) Some obvious signs of repairs to the roof / crown.

3) western portal looking east, the roof suports visible ahead..

4) Infill ends and the steel / wooden roof supports dominate the view.

5) Close up of the less substantial supports, timbers still appeared to be in good condition.

6) Don’t be fooled the steels supports aren’t level with the trackbed!

7) Spot the remaining railway sleepers still in situ along the left hand side.

8) Alternate lighting techniques.

9) Vortex of sorts.

10) Steel structures aside from being heavily rusted looks to be in good shape.

11) Steel Supports II.

12) Steel Supports III

13) Clearer view of the timber bracing between the steel and the tunnels crown.

14) Eastern end looking west.

15) One of few visible refuges.

16) Looking East along the infill hard to make out on the images but some serious bulges in the roof.

17) Wooden pegs holding strong.

18) Infilled section at the eastern end is slightly longer probably 100yards maybe slightly more.

19) Heavily sooted roof lining.

20) Looking west.

21) Eastern Portal with the bridge for the B6167 “Lancashire Hill” cutting across the top of the portal, there was a little hole which meant you could see people walking by on the pavement a little surreal.

22) Obvious signs of movement and Possibly future failures in the tunnel roof.

23) Western Portal with the B6167 above.

Above image shows a Class 40 locomotive standing in what remained of Tiviot Dale Station in March 1978 with an engineering train, The Eastern Portal of Tiviot Dale Tunnel / B6167 Overbridge are see directly ahead of the train.

Below is the same Class 40 diesel locomotive (40129) seen having passed through Tiviot Dale Tunnel and stood in the cutting just beyond the western portal, 12th March 1978.

Both the Class 40 images can be found here https://www.flickr.com/photos/deadmans_handle along with many other top shots of days gone by.

Thanks for looking all, slightly image heavy but I think it’s worth it, lovely little explore well worth a visit if in the area for sure.

Thanks!

Tunnel Gricer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Really like that. Different from most tunnels with those steel supports which are really photogenic. Great report @Doug Judy
Thanks HughieD! Yes, I did get carried away with those aging steel supports, Certainly a lot of options when it comes to angles or lighting them. I finished work a couple hours early so made the short drive over had planned a quick visit to Brinnington Tunnel but I spent that long in Tiviot Dale I ran out of time had to get back for the dog! Thanks for the comment much appreciated as always :thumb

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Like this, wasn't expecting the supports to be so far along. They really did a good gob building those. The photos really show how well they are built. You've got some great angles there too. Very photogenic.:thumb

gingerspeedfreak

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Lovely report, as usual! The first few pics really show how 'flat' the crown is looking. Definitely some movement there! Interesting to see an infilled tunnel like this. I expect the fill went higher initially but has settled over time. Bolsover Tunnel is the only other one I can think of that is like that, but I expect there are others.

Tunnel Gricer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Like this, wasn't expecting the supports to be so far along. They really did a good gob building those. The photos really show how well they are built. You've got some great angles there too. Very photogenic.:thumb
Thanks CJ! I was surprised how many supports there were was hard to grasp looking though photos on the internet, I think I did it justice, Definitely a nice little explore this, Quirky I might even say… :thumb :D

Tunnel Gricer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Lovely report, as usual! The first few pics really show how 'flat' the crown is looking. Definitely some movement there! Interesting to see an infilled tunnel like this. I expect the fill went higher initially but has settled over time. Bolsover Tunnel is the only other one I can think of that is like that, but I expect there are others.
Thanks gingerspeedfreak, Yeah I agree a lot of movement from the tunnel crown itself, several flat spots or bulges, I noted the infill was extremely level inside nothing like what I experienced in Bolsover Tunnel at all, Mapperley is another which has been infill albeit only partially :thumb

m4dd13z666

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Love those supports.. Another you visited without me :mad:, we will have to have words :D :eek: Only joking, cracking shots :Not Worthy

CantClimbTom

Enthusiastic Idiot and prolific BS talker
28DL Full Member
Enjoyed that, thank you. DON'T GET SUCKED INTO THE VORTEX!!! :)

Haven't been up there since I was a kid, my Mum's side of family are all originally from Bredbury, Romiley, (and the posh ones) Marple, didn't appreciate the sandstone underneath me when walking around there, but looks like lovely climbing rock in that old pic of the cutting. Your pics especially were a real treat, thanks again

Tunnel Gricer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Enjoyed that, thank you. DON'T GET SUCKED INTO THE VORTEX!!! :)

Haven't been up there since I was a kid, my Mum's side of family are all originally from Bredbury, Romiley, (and the posh ones) Marple, didn't appreciate the sandstone underneath me when walking around there, but looks like lovely climbing rock in that old pic of the cutting. Your pics especially were a real treat, thanks again
Thanks CantClimbTom appreciate that, Was a short yet very interesting place this one!

Who has read this thread (Total: 325) View details