real time web analytics
Report - - TRAIE MEANAGH OPEN AIR SWIMMING POOL-April 18 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - TRAIE MEANAGH OPEN AIR SWIMMING POOL-April 18

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Shaun

28DL Regular User
28DL Full Member
Introduction

Well hello there! long time since my last report! This place gets worse every year due to its very open position on a cliff face and to be honest is not worth a rush over to see it a last time like the hotel was.

History

(This first bit is stolen but i will tell a bit of history i have heard.)
Brian King, who worked here when it was open said
"The pool was very popular with those among the local youth who were hardened to the cold water.
A Mr Marshall had been manager before I started there, then Mr Condra when I started in 1955. By the time I had qualified as a PE teacher Mrs Joan Shimmin had been manageress and I finished my last season in 1961 as temporary season manager.
Galas were held every Wednesday with short speed swimming events and fun events like egg and spoon and balloon races. Leslie Watterson, foreman of Port Erin commissioners, did the announcing and setting up.
'Part of my job was to encourage daily visitors to enter the weekly competitions, including looking for prospective entrants for the bathing beauty competitions.
Hotels were encouraged to enter and the Squadron Cup was up for weekly competition by hotel teams. I well remember Mr Hoyle, the entertainments manager at the Balqueen Hotel, bringing a team over every week from Port St Mary.
Cash prizes were offered in the form of vouchers worth five shillings which could be spent on any goods in shops in Port Erin.
The bathing beauties got three guineas, two guineas and one guinea respectively."

Very similar to this i have seen photos of galas and guests from each of the hotels lining up to race for prizes. This whole thing died down when the none TT Race summer traffic slowed. After the budget airlines to
Spain took off.

taken on a different day.
DSC01228.JPG
DSC01207.JPG

DSC01214.JPG
DSC01218.JPG
DSC01210.JPG
DSC01213.JPG

DSC01220.JPG