real time web analytics
Report - - Tranmere Deep Shelter, Wirral - Jan 2015. | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Tranmere Deep Shelter, Wirral - Jan 2015.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin

Tranmere Deep Shelter, Wirral

header.jpg

During the 1940's the Home Office gave the County Borough of Birkenhead the green light to build the most expensive deep tunnel air raid shelter of its kind in the country

With space for 4560 bunked and 1600 seated occupants, the staggering system below Tranmere reveals the importance placed on local labourers by the government

Simply put, if Wirral was to play its part in the war effort, the manpower of Cammell Laird and the docks had to be protected from Nazi bombing

Currently held by the National Archive, Cabinet Office document 10131/4363 puts the estimated cost of the venture at £119,000

It was decided in the event of a nuclear attack, the Tranmere bunker was capable of being used by the public, but a second system under Bidston was not capable at short notice due to rotten supports

In the post-war rush to utilise resources, the system was stripped, but the signage and brickwork remain

I Never thought this place would see the light again, and is certainly a grail as far as the Wirral goes!

Overlay produced by nick from a plan kindly sent from canute originally prepared by Stevie Wonder :rolleyes:

overlay.jpg

We dropped in near to what would have been one of the main 'usable' entrances for the shelter

A couple of side rooms and passageways going off in different directions, along with a toilet block a short distance away

1.jpg

In one of those side rooms, amongst the burnt remains of a commer van (obviously myself and The Kwan old enough to remember those) :p:

Safe

Not sure why that would have been in there, but alas no swag as the mighty plasma cutter had beaten us to it

2.jpg

Round the corner, a curious archway leads to a larger passageway, which appears to be the main drag in/out of the shelter

3.jpg

As you can see the passageway was blasted, the paved walkway looking a bit sorry these days compared to the rest of the shelter

4.jpg

Once at the other end, we were now in the confines of the main shelter

5.jpg

The layout of the shelter is a grid formation, very similar to Bidston, although this place was much bigger

We had a leisurely stroll through the various passageways and rooms which have been largely un-touched

Only the elements and signs of slight vandalism can be found here and there

6.jpg

7.jpg

^ Note the galvanised cladding used as a false ceiling, both aesthetic and also to protect against any falls from the sandstone above

Here, sections have been removed to expose the sandstone beyond

22.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Sadly, the place is an accident waiting to happen :eek:

This fresh fall is only a few days old and it's fair to say caused by disturbances from the recent activity

10.jpg

There are a number of emergency exits from within the shelter, here an old escape shaft under Olive Mount

11.jpg

12.jpg

No shelter is complete without a number of lavatories, there certainly are plenty of them as up to 6,000 people needed to pay a visit

Women

13.jpg

14.jpg

Men

15.jpg

16.jpg

21.jpg

There was also a canteen down here..

17.jpg

Canteen it is, although you will have to sing for your supper these days

dish of the day - Asbestos :eek:

18.jpg

We had a look at the central control area, hidden away beyond a non descript asbestos clad door behind a toilet block

Here the remains of the generator and ventilation gubbins, along with distro boards and other switch gear

(also note another escape shaft, once concealed behind the 'false' ceiling)

19.jpg

20.jpg

And finally the main emergency exit that once led to the top of the hillside which sparked all that interest back in 2008

23.jpg

Up top, a ventilation shaft which once led to a surface building at the end of an alleyway close to Thompson Street

24.jpg

And lastly the +20m shaft looking back down from below the concrete cap

25.jpg

Sealed in 2008 of course ;)

26.jpg

Thanks to The Kwan for the heads up, Marsden, also shouts to Terry and big up the lad who fetched his mum in :thumb

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
You have Proper nailed this Ojay, lovely pictures AND you have been researching too ,good work... your overlay is superb. it was good to catch up :thumb

canute

货车司机和国王
28DL Full Member
Superb lighting and great report mate :cool Hope this stays off the radar a little longer

GAJ

Mr Muscle
28DL Full Member
Certainly looks better down there than Tranmere looks above ground :p:

Good stuff :thumb

Degenatron

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Brilliant report. The photos look great too. Did you light them with a hand held flash?.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
No flash bending here mate, simply used a couple of different torches and some lighting technicians (bitches) I found down there :D

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
A nice clean Bidston. Did you ever get that D800 working ?

I ended up with a new one, but I don't have any usable full frame lenses aside from a 50mm prime so it rarely gets used :(

I will invest in some glass this year and put it to good use, just I don't fancy taking it down sewers so I might have to start derping about again