real time web analytics
Report - - Tranmere Deep Shelter, Wirral - Jan 2015 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Tranmere Deep Shelter, Wirral - Jan 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Marsden1002

Love it!
28DL Full Member
During the 1940's the Home Office gave the County Borough of Birkenhead the green light to build the most expensive deep tunnel air raid shelter of its kind in the country

With space for 4560 bunked and 1600 seated occupants, the staggering system below Tranmere reveals the importance placed on local labourers by the government

Simply put, if Wirral was to play its part in the war effort, the manpower of Cammell Laird and the docks had to be protected from Nazi bombing

Currently held by the National Archive, Cabinet Office document 10131/4363 puts the estimated cost of the venture at £119,000

It was decided in the event of a nuclear attack, the Tranmere bunker was capable of being used by the public, but a second system under Bidston was not capable at short notice due to rotten supports

In the post-war rush to utilise resources, the system was stripped, but the signage and brickwork remain

Thanks to The Kwan and Ojay for inviting me along to this particular one. I thought Brinksway in Stockport was big, but this is something else! A nice relaxed explore despite me nearly loosing my trusty cheap tripod! I was just amazed how good they made it look ie brickwalls and tin roof - not just to protect people down there but to also make it look nice....

Anyway onto the rather poor photos - lack of camera work and explores really does show when your rubbish at photography anyway :D

resize111_zpseqpn88sr.jpg

resize11_zpsc5dwxedt.jpg

resize22_zpsmx3xcuhg.jpg

resize10_zps1ys9z56e.jpg

resize9_zpsmgjgbpmq.jpg

resize8_zpszxuiztga.jpg

resize5_zpsdsgliue4.jpg

resize4_zpslyormgyt.jpg

resize6_zpsh7bljyd6.jpg

resize3_zpsphpjqliy.jpg

resize7_zpsqs5j1dpx.jpg

resize2_zpshb1bup5l.jpg

Thanks!

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
It was good to meet you mate and to see this monster size shelter, some nice atmospheric shots in your report too :thumb

T-Dawg

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
nice pics just been down there myself for a little look around its cool

pvtvmc

28DL Member
28DL Member
Went down myself today man,
couldn't find the ladders but we were pretty cautious of getting lost so probably didn't give it as much time as we should of!
Nice shots though, Peace !

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice ones mate :thumb

It"s certainly an impressive location, that"s for sure. I got a bit dizzy at the top of the ladders by the fan unit, maybe lack of oxygen in that sealed area ?