real time web analytics
Report - - Tullis Russell Power Station, Glenrothes - August 2020 | UK Power Stations | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Tullis Russell Power Station, Glenrothes - August 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

DustySensorPhotography

28DL Regular User
Regular User
TULLIS RUSSELL POWER STATION

Currently posting at 8:30am from another power station - the 14 day grind doesn’t stop for anything.

THE HISTORY:
Opened in 1914 as Markinch power station, this coal fired power station boasted three Parsons turbines, though it was later extended to have a fourth.

Alas, Tullis Russell met the same fate as almost all coal fired power stations in the UK and was closed in 2012 due to the EU Large Combustion Directive as a result of its high emissions from running on coal.

THE EXPLORE:

Being inside the site of this plant was very surreal due to its differing nature to most power stations we see in this country. Having been sat empty, cold and isolated for many years, Tullis Russel has given nature a real opportunity to reclaim itself and that is evident throughout the site.

After traversing pipelines in the pissing rain and passing through asbestos removal sheets and the like, @UrbandonedTeam @jtza and I were finally in this decomposing station and it was certainly worth the hardship and sodden clothes.

Though this station is much smaller than most, its character supersedes its size with its historical opulence. The old Parsons turbines are always an eyebrow raiser and the jet black control panels are a piece of history only to be marvelled at in awe.

IMG_9604-HDR.jpg

IMG_9605-HDR.jpg

The four turbines sat in a row within the confines of its decaying castle.

IMG_9553-HDR.jpg

IMG_9598-HDR.jpg

The parsons turbines really took the biscuit with their classic blue colour standing out from the white room.

IMG_9547.jpg

Work had evidently begun on decommissioning the plant, but progress was slow.

IMG_9581-HDR.jpg

IMG_9572-HDR.jpg

The control room was very small compared with more modern stations.

IMG_9571-HDR.jpg

IMG_9542-HDR.jpg

IMG_9536-HDR.jpg

The boiler house and conveyor shaft area for coal felt very open due to the immense decay throughout the site.

IMG_9526-HDR.jpg

IMG_9514-HDR.jpg

IMG_9520-HDR.jpg

The boilers alone showed the archaic state of this power plant.

While this power station didn’t have the atmosphere of intensity and magnitude that others may have due to its smaller size and lower funding for security, being owned by a smaller company, it was extremely special in its own way and completing it was more than rewarding.

There’s something different about it, a warmth of nature perhaps, which no other places of its category do. More modern coal power stations are built for purpose, generally by the state, with nothing but cheap and efficient energy production in mind, while Tullis couldn’t be more different. Its distinguished Parsons turbines and solidly constructed building surrounding them is evidence more than any that this place was built with character by a company who really cared about what they were creating. Contemporary flat-pack power plants might be big, noisy and exciting, but they lack the secret ingredient of originality that Tullis Russel so perfectly incapsulates.​

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
This has a real compact yet vast feel. The vastness being so much to admire. The turbines, control room and black controls are very old school and full of character. The white brick walls give the impression of a shed like structure, and bits of nature popping through. Really like this, full and fruitful report. :thumb

DustySensorPhotography

28DL Regular User
Regular User
This has a real compact yet vast feel. The vastness being so much to admire. The turbines, control room and black controls are very old school and full of character. The white brick walls give the impression of a shed like structure, and bits of nature popping through. Really like this, full and fruitful report. :thumb
Thanks a lot! It’s such an odd place like you say as it doesn’t feel like a power station but more of a shed! Crazy all the same, nice to have a change with power stations…

OutlawExplorer

Aut inveniam viat aut faciam
28DL Full Member
I can just tell this is the sort of place you’d expect to spend an hour in, just form the size, and by the time you look at your watch you’ve been in there for 4. Also love the “Parsons” font and chromed lettering, sort of thing you see on american fridges from the 50s. Awesome report.

Brassneck

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Markinch power house was definitely a little gem, unbelievable that it wasn't saved, I think I'd weep if I had to cut those lovely turbines and chain grate boilers up..

DustySensorPhotography

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I can just tell this is the sort of place you’d expect to spend an hour in, just form the size, and by the time you look at your watch you’ve been in there for 4. Also love the “Parsons” font and chromed lettering, sort of thing you see on american fridges from the 50s. Awesome report.
Cheers man appreciate it! As small as it is you do end up spending so much time😂