real time web analytics
Vaynol Mausoleum, Parc Menai, North Wales - May 2023 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Vaynol Mausoleum, Parc Menai, North Wales - May 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Introduction
Me and @V50jake visited this one on our recent exploring trip to Wales. We have seen it before but wanted to get some better photos and take another look.

History & Information
The Grade II Listed Mausoleum is situated on the 500-acre Vaynol Estate, this section of the estate is known as Vaynol Wood and is accessible to the public. The estate was owned by the Williams family in C16 and was later inherited by Thomas Assheton-Smith. Thomas was the owner of the Dinorwic slate quarries. Later, ownership was passed onto the Duff family.

The Assheton-Smith family commissioned the construction of the mausoleum during the later part of the 19th century. It was designed by Welsh architect Henry Kennedy. The building appears in several early OS Maps editions. The gates/fencing are quite unique with chamfered stone piers and pyramid-shaped caps, in addition to iron gates.

The mausoleum was constructed using a combination of snecked rubble and freestone dressings. It features a distinctive roof design with banded fish-scale and plain slate patterns and was built with an Early French Gothic design. There’s also an octagonal bell tower.

The interior of the building is almost empty with just a table present, there are two memorial plaques on the wall acknowledging the death of Laura Alice and Enid Mary. The site has suffered some vandalism over the years thanks to the nature of its location, there's quite a bit of graffiti and the stained glass windows have suffered over the years too. An internal door leads to a set of stairs and leads to a tunnel that goes around the sealed crypt, it does get a bit soggy further down and there isn’t anything down there, but there is a small passageway that goes further. I am not sure where this part goes, it would be possible to crawl through it (just!) but I didn’t fancy it.

The building appears on the OS Six Inch, 1888 OS Map, it also appears on several others:

os map.JPG

The Explore
It was nice to visit again and the entrance to the building appears to be unchanged, as does the condition. It is a lovely old building and is well hidden although one of the paths goes directly past it. We spent the best part of an hour in and around the grounds of the site getting photos, then visited the nearby bridge afterwards which is nice to see.

Onto the photos...

The main entrance:

IMG_4799.jpg

Round the back:

IMG_4768-HDR.jpg

The bell tower, I didn't fancy climbing the ladder as it was pretty wobbly but I think Jake went up here with the camera and got a pic of the bell:

IMG_4770-HDR.jpg

IMG_4782-HDR-2.jpg

Some lovely details on the front:

IMG_4793.jpg

IMG_4790.jpg

IMG_4808.jpg

Heading inside:

IMG_4732-HDR.jpg

IMG_4735-HDR.jpg

IMG_4681-HDR.jpg

IMG_4756-HDR.jpg

Looking up:

IMG_4747-HDR.jpg

The nice tiled floor:

IMG_4693.jpg

One of the memorial plaques on the wall:

IMG_4738.jpg

Descending down the steps into the tunnel section which runs around the crypt, the crypt itself is fully sealed:

IMG_4687-HDR.jpg

IMG_4717.jpg

IMG_4723-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Thanks for looking!

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Did you notice the gaps/vents leading into the burial area? Were they to allow the spirit to escape or something?
I didn't notice any gaps if I'm honest, there may have a been a small manufactured hole where the blocked entry point was though.
That’s a nice little place there
It's a nice little place, good enough to visit for a 2nd time!
Lovely place and fantastic pics mate...
Thanks mate, appreciated. It's a lovely little building.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Really nice little place that and well captured. Loving that tiled floor. What was up the ladder, is that just for a view through the window.

Edit..Looks like someone has gone up the rope next to it to get too the bell. Looks a bit dodgy ha ha.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Really nice little place that and well captured. Loving that tiled floor. What was up the ladder, is that just for a view through the window.

Edit..Looks like someone has gone up the rope next to it to get too the bell. Looks a bit dodgy ha ha.
Thanks mate, and I knew you'd like the tiling! Yeah, just a closer view of the bell up the ladder.

Stunning shots that's a really nice place with that stained glass
Thanks mate, the stained glass is lovely.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
good to see thats got shit graff on every wall now too! :mad:
well reported though, I went up the ladder which was inside the tower at the time.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Beautifully shot. The architecture here is stunning. Youve done the place justice.
It does make me really angry to see graff here; and in churches. No respect :mad: for the dead or the architecture.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
good to see thats got shit graff on every wall now too! :mad:
well reported though, I went up the ladder which was inside the tower at the time.
Thanks and yeah, it's a real shame, but suppose it's better than being demolished or whatever. Nice, I did see a comment saying you had been on the DP site.

Beautifully shot. The architecture here is stunning. Youve done the place justice.
It does make me really angry to see graff here; and in churches. No respect :mad: for the dead or the architecture.
Thanks as always Jane, lovely architecture indeed! Yeah, I don't understand why people tag churches and buildings like that. Old battered factories I can sort of understand, but not a place like this.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
That roof shot amazing great other pics and report lovely building
Thanks! I was pleased with how that one came out, I made it B&W as it suited the shot and the colours looked weird in colour form. Indeed a lovely building a great example of old gothic architecture.

Who has read this thread (Total: 183) View details