real time web analytics
Vaynol Mausoleum - Bangor, North Wales - May 2023 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Vaynol Mausoleum - Bangor, North Wales - May 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
History - This Victorian mausoleum was built in the 1870s for the Assheton-Smith family, which owned the Vaynol estate and the Dinorwig slate quarry. Thomas Assheton-Smith, who had developed the slate quarries, was buried in 1858 in Hampshire, where the family had another home, but later members of the family were buried here. They included Captain Robert George Duff, whose body was brought here from the Isle of Wight in 1890. The mausoleum sits in woodland in the grounds of the Vaynol estate, the woodland is now owned by the National Trust.

Explore - We had a mooch round this place while we were on a weekend away nearby. It's set in some nice woodland and as you approach it looks very atmospheric and gothic. The interior and the crypt are very cool and all in all it's well worth having a look.

100.JPG

101.JPG

101a.JPG

102.JPG

103.JPG

104.JPG

104a.JPG

105.JPG

106.JPG

107.JPG

108.JPG

109.JPG

110.JPG

111.JPG

112.JPG

Thanks for looking.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Great pics and nice underground shots too. It's a nice surprise this place isn't it! And something a little different to your usual churchy-style stuff.

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
Great pics and nice underground shots too. It's a nice surprise this place isn't it! And something a little different to your usual churchy-style stuff.
Thank you, yes it was a nice little explore, it's a shame it's been graffitied but otherwise a lovely place.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nicely taken. I said it last post its such a shame someone has sprayed crap graff all round in there.
Just cant figure the mentality, "what shall I do today?" I know ill trudge to the middle of nowhere with my pink spray can & deface someone's resting place, with some "graffiti" which Im crap at anyway!
Takes a very strange sort if u ask me

MK83

Wife and husband
28DL Full Member
Nicely taken. I said it last post its such a shame someone has sprayed crap graff all round in there.
Just cant figure the mentality, "what shall I do today?" I know ill trudge to the middle of nowhere with my pink spray can & deface someone's resting place, with some "graffiti" which Im crap at anyway!
Totally agree, absolutely mindless and unnecessary!

Who has read this thread (Total: 161) View details