real time web analytics
Report - - Warrington Transporter Bridge - January 2024 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Warrington Transporter Bridge - January 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ef_urbex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Climbed this one earlier this year, The Warrington Transporter Bridge is the only rail transporter bridge left standing in the world today. The Warrington Transporter Bridge (also known as Bank Quay Transporter Bridge or Crosfield's Transporter Bridge) across the River Mersey is a structural steel transporter bridge with a span of 200 feet (61 metres). It is 30 feet wide (9 metres), and 76 feet (23metres) above high water level, with an overall length of 339 feet (103 metres). It was commissioned in 1916 and, although it has been out of use since about 1964, it is still standing. It was designed by William Henry Hunter and built by William Arrol and Co.

1709737380456.jpeg

Ref: The Bridge from underneath

It was originally one of two such bridges across the Mersey at Warrington, the other having been erected in 1905 slightly to the north of the existing bridge. Sadly, this first bridge is long gone, although it is not known what year it was removed. This was built to despatch finished product from the cement plant that had been built on the peninsula. It was originally designed to carry rail vehicles up to 18 tons loaded weight. The bridge was converted for road vehicles in 1940, and was certified to carry loads of upto 30 tons in 1953.

1709737529815.jpeg

Ref: The top of the bridge, facing towards Warrington Center and the old Unilever Factory on the left.

The bridge is designated by English Heritage as a Grade II* listed building, and because of its poor condition it is on their Heritage at Risk Register. The bridge is protected as a Scheduled Monument. We could definitely tell this bridge was in poor condition! In some ways it made climbing the bridge a more exciting experience due to the sketchy eroded wooden walk way with missing planks right over the dark River Mersey!

The climb up wasn't too challenging, however you had to be careful to watch your step with dangling wires, missing steps and missing railings.

1709737819655.jpeg

Ref: The top of the bridge the side facing towards Fiddlers Ferry.

Once we had got up and down and started walking our way back, we encountered a car driving down the road so we hid in the bushes, the car then came a second time around but by then we began to run and escaped swiftly.

Sorry for the lack of photos, majority of my photos are crap, I'm not an expert photographer in all honesty, however this is something i'm trying to work on to improve the quality of my reports!

For anyone wanting to read further on the bridge this is the link where I gathered most of my information -> Warrington Transporter Bridge - History

1709738201519.jpeg

Thanks for reading :)

oli_sb85

28DL Member
28DL Member
Nice. One of only three transporter bridges that surive in the UK - Warrington, Newport and the famous example at Middlesborough. Shame none of them are now working.