real time web analytics
Report - - Welsh Printworks (Gwasg Gee) July 2012 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Welsh Printworks (Gwasg Gee) July 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
I loved the look of this place since i first saw it so it was a must visit for me.
Inspired by Host and TLJ's reports, then Speed i thought it's best to get this done sooner rather than later, thanks to Host for the heads up.

History "borrowed" from TLJ's report.

‘Gwasg’ is Welsh for Press and ‘Gee’ relates to Thomas Gee (1780 - 1845, no relation to Dustin) who founded the business and whose son (also Thomas Gee, also no relation to Dustin) grew it, in the mid 19th century, into a publishing house with an enduring place in the history of Wales.

Thomas Gee Junior (1815 - 1898) became well known throughout Wales as a publisher, politician and nonconformist preacher. He was also a champion of the survival of the Welsh language at a time when it seemed it would be entirely replaced by English. His weekly newspaper Y Faner, first published in 1859, acquired a campaigning, radical reputation and served as a crucial tool in the fight for the religious and political freedom of Wales.

When Gwasg Gee closed in 2001, it was the oldest independent printing press in Wales. It is now Grade II* listed, but on the Buildings at Risk register.

Pics probably very similar to previous reports i'm afraid.........

Printers-31r.jpg

Printers-25r-1.jpg

Printers-26r-1.jpg
Printers-2r-1.jpg

Printers-6r-1.jpg

Printers-8r.jpg
Printers-11r.jpg

Printers-16r.jpg
Printers-18r-1.jpg

Printers-23r.jpg

Printers-20r.jpg
Printers-30r.jpg