real time web analytics
The Welsh Asylum Gauntlet - April / Oct 2023 | Noteworthy Reports | 28DaysLater.co.uk

The Welsh Asylum Gauntlet - April / Oct 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Recently you might have seen my Whitchurch report. Well as promised, here's a roundup of all the Welsh asylums I did on these two trips with @KismetJ plus one in Bristol on the way back along the M4. They weren't all successes, others were the result of multiple visits and planning. This report was in part inspired by the mega report by MotionlessMike which you can find here. I've also tried to include a few extras for variety, to avoid complete repetition and make up for the fails.

Whitchurch2ndVisit (1 of 35).jpg

So for context, lets go back to the end of 2022. Kismet and I had just finished our Scotland asylum roadtrip (see my mega report on that here). We were wondering what to do next on the asylum front (watch out Ireland), and we decided to do a trip to Wales as it was a pretty obvious choice but I hadn't yet been to those. Kismet had already visited Denbigh and Talgarth solo, but the allure of Whitchurch and the other two extra nice ones had been calling. We saw a lot on this first trip but decided to return later in the year for some unfinished business which, well, still remains unfinished! Until anything changes, here's the result of the visits. Because this report will be another long one, here's the contents:

North Wales County Asylum, Denbigh
Mid Wales Mental Hospital, Talgarth
Swansea Mental Hospital - Cefn Coed
Cardiff City Lunatic Asylum, Whitchurch
Newport Borough Asylum, Caerleon - St. Cadocs
Glamorgan County Lunatic Asylum, Brigend - Glanrhyd
Carmarthenshire, Cardigan & Pembrokeshire County Asylum
Bristol Lunatic Asylum - Glenside University Campus

NORTH WALES COUNTY ASYLUM, DENBIGH
Status - Ruined

Denbigh Drone.jpg

A beautiful shot of Denbigh in the snow by @KismetJ

Denbigh needs no introduction as an age-old classic. I first heard about it over 10 years ago in the days of Elwyn (RIP). By now it was looking pretty trashed and didn't have much appeal left but I knew that one day I'd still have to go out my way to see it and at least take a few externals. Denbigh Asylum began life during construction from 1844 to 1848; quite early of the county asylums, opening off the back of the County Asylums Act of 1808 which began provision for county-run asylums, and the Lunacy Act of 1845 which sought to shift the mentally ill from essentially prisoners to patients and provide them with better facilities. Denbigh was built in the typical corridor plan of the earlier asylums and housed around 1,500 patients at its height and finally closed in 1995. It is set for gradual redevelopment into housing.

Well we began the roadtrip with the drive to North Wales and hit Denbigh the following morning. As KismetJ hopped over the fence, I waited in the grass behind a small mound to hear him whisper 'there's security'. Next thing I know some bloke dressed in camo with a balaclava resembling teenage mutant ninja turtles is looking over me pathetically sitting in the grass. 'What do you think you're doing sir?'. Turns out he was very professional and frankly pretty good at his job. We wondered if he had been hiding in a bush in wait as he was carrying a fishing stool. Conversation was followed by 'so have you guys come from Essex?'. I mean c'mon, the accent can't be THAT obvious. He warned us we couldn't return anytime soon or it would escalate the matter, to which I said 'it's fair game, we gave it a go, you got us'. Like a true sportsman. It was all pretty smooth but annoyingly I'd failed on what I thought might be the easiest of the trip. I had to suffice with a few externals, which I'm fine with given the state of it, but I would've liked a shot of the frontage without the fence in the way.

Denbigh-13.jpg

Admin block

Denbigh-6.jpg

Denbigh-5.jpg

Chapel

Denbigh-1.jpg

Denbigh-4.jpg

Outbuilding (containing mortuary?)

Denbigh-11.jpg

Nurses' block

MID WALES MENTAL HOSPITAL, TALGARTH
Status - Ruined

Talgarth Drone.jpg

Aerial by @KismetJ

A modern classic which has fallen to complete wrack and ruin rapidly after some dodgy shenanigans around 2010ish, involving the slate roof tiles being sold off at complete expense of the building. What was once a very fine asylum is now one of those fetid hellholes which leaves you feeling a bit dirty. On top of this, you have the bizarre situation of Mad Merv; the self-assigned guard of the property who is equally a trespasser yet spends his entire day driving up and down a 200m road patrolling the site. He'd even smeared what we believed was sheep shit on the window we climbed in and it absolutely stunk. Recently I saw someone attest it was human, possibly his own, which is absolutely vile. Annoyingly, if he sees you go down the access road but then disappear he'll know you've gone inside, so we had to feign leaving and quickly re-enter before we were spotted. The place is absolutely fucked but it still made for some good post-apocalyptic style shots with nature taking over. As we were getting back in the car Mad Merv pulled up next to us and held up a notepad as if it were a camera. He said nothing and drove off. A truly strange NPC.

Talgarth began as Brecon and Radnor Joint Counties Lunatic Asylum, and was opened officially in 1903. It was built to the more-modern compact arrow plan yet used stone rather than brick which was becoming less common. It eventually became Mid Wales Hospital, and closed finally in 1999. It was supposed to become a business park but this went into administration around 2008, and since then it's been left for dead. Tumbles' excellent report here follows the building's subsequent decline and it really is sad what happened.

Talgarth-4.jpg

Admin block

Talgarth-22.jpg

Passageway behind admin

Talgarth-23.jpg

Details inside Admin

Talgarth-24.jpg

Talgarth-9.jpg

Collapsed corridor

Talgarth-12.jpg

Corridor surrounding hall

Talgarth-17.jpg

Recreation hall

Talgarth-19.jpg

Talgarth-38.jpg

Eastern ward

Talgarth-34.jpg

Talgarth-40.jpg

Talgarth-42.jpg

Seclusion room

Talgarth-48.jpg

Talgarth-3.jpg

Chapel

Talgarth-2.jpg

Mad Merv - that car should tell you all you need to know about this bloke

SWANSEA MENTAL HOSPITAL - CEFN COED
Status - Mostly Disused

CefnCoed Drone.JPG

Aerial by @KismetJ

I'm going to open by saying this is the main one we didn't manage. After a recce on our first trip, we had found a potential way in and were keen to do it under the cover of darkness on our next trip. After speaking with @Bikin Glynn it would appear that they were pretty tight on this place nowadays, and whilst our intended route of attack might have been possible, it seemed like it would be an awful lot of effort for what it would be worth so we bottled it. Besides, we couldn't take two 5am starts in a row. It just gives off imposing vibes with its fortress-like shuttered sides and signs of monitor. I think with this one you're better off being patient rather than trying harder, despite our initial optimism. I'll be back.

The history of Cefn Coed (which means 'behind the woods') is a bit different in that it was began after 1908. However, due to shortage of labour and materials, it was halted with only the foundations ready in WW1. Building work began some time later in 1928, finally opened in 1932. It represents an Edwardian-style compact arrow asylum which looks older than its years. The hospital actually took a few patients from Talgarth. The site is still partially active with the western ward still in use, which likely explains its tighter measures, although the building is for the most part abandoned.

CefnCoed-9.jpg

Admin block

CefnCoed-2.jpg

Eastern wards & water tower

CefnCoed-14.jpg

Rear of building

CefnCoed-7.jpg

Chapel

CefnCoed-5.jpg

Nurses block?

TBC...​

Last edited:

Wastelandr

Regular User

CARDIFF CITY LUNATIC ASYLUM, WHITCHURCH
Status - Abandoned

Whitchurch-Asylum-26.jpg

Aerial by @KismetJ

We visited Whitchurch on both trips it was so good. This was the big win for our first trip, and we didn't expect to get in easily given that it had gone quiet for a while. I won't go into detail here as I recently did the whopping post below to cover everything in a bit more detail. It opened as Cardiff City Asylum in 1908, swiftly changing its title to Mental Hospital in an effort to modernise. It represents a step into the later period of asylums, opting for a streamlined brick facade compared to the earlier stone-built hospitals. Yet it's still quite decorative with classical influences, and is quite an attractive building with its yellow stripes. As said before, it's without doubt the largest and most well-rounded asylum explore left, almost rivalling Severalls with it's labyrinthine corridors. I've tried to include a few different shots and angles from my main post below:

WhitchurchAsylum-2.jpg

Admin block & water tower

Whitchurch2ndVisit (31 of 35).jpg

Ward exterior from airing court

WhitchurchAsylum-72.jpg

WhitchurchAsylum-20.jpg

Dayroom

WhitchurchAsylum-30.jpg

WhitchurchAsylum-34.jpg

WhitchurchAsylum-57.jpg

WhitchurchAsylum-70.jpg

Edwardian showers

WhitchurchAsylum-79.jpg

Recreation hall

WhitchurchAsylum-91.jpg

Stores

WhitchurchAsylum-85.jpg

WhitchurchAsylum-96.jpg

Inside admin

NEWPORT BOROUGH ASYLUM, CAERLEON - ST. CADOCS
Status - Partially Active

StCadocs-1.jpg

Admin - one of the nicest looking of its era in my opinion

Nothing short of an amazing place, it actually could be one of my all-time favourite explores. Not just because of its pristine interiors barely changed in a century, but because it's survived against the odds. The narrative is that county asylums were finished off by deinstitutionalisation and Care in the Community by the 1990s. However, places like this seem to defy the wider trend. It's a county asylum still functioning in the 2020s. Of course, the system has undergone changes which mean their approach and services are quite different, but hasn't this always been ongoing? Cadocs makes for a genuinely fascinating insight into the unreported corners of the NHS today, as well as a local historical time capsule uniquely preserved by its active status. The disused parts of this place may seem tiny compared to the scale of Whitchurch, but I think it's the most authentic example of an asylum you can still see. I'm convinced urbex is as close to time travel as we'll ever get, f*ck museums.

StCadocs-2 (2).jpg

The chapel

StCadocs-6.jpg

The mortuary

StCadocs-8.jpg

View through the window

St. Cadocs was built in 1906 in the compact arrow plan. It reminded me of St. Martins but more original and a tad bigger, with the dayrooms looking very Severalls. It's like all these asylums form parts of the same imaginary space in your head. That's why I like the brick-built Edwardian asylums most, it's the familiarity of being back in 'The Zone'.

Our first trip to St. Cadocs occurred one evening towards the end of our first trip. We didn't really know how to approach it considering it's an active hospital, but we were lucky and managed to walk in. Pacing hesitantly around the eerie antiquated corridors with humming fluorescent lights and the heating up exceptionally high, there was nowhere to hide and it fell firmly outside the abandoned genre of urbex. Somehow, we didn't see a soul around but we did find that both the hall and the disused upstairs wards were firmly locked. It was a tease, as we got a taste of something incredible yet it was just out of reach.

StCadocs-2.jpg

Eastern ward (active)

StCadocs-10.jpg

StCadocs-14.jpg

StCadocs-23.jpg

Corridor passing the recreation hall (Left) opposite the admin entrance corridor

StCadocs-22.jpg

StCadocs-11.jpg

StCadocs-17.jpg

Stairs to wards

TBC...

Last edited:

Wastelandr

Regular User
After speaking to @Bikin Glynn to whom I owe a huge thanks, we returned on trip 2 with new optimism. This time, it would involve a more calculated approach. After checking it the night before, we got up at 5am with adrenaline already coursing through our veins and entered under the cover of darkness. It was pretty bold and would've looked awful if we were spotted, but we found ourselves inside after some exertion. Quickly eyeing up the goods in darkness, we knew it was promising. We found ourselves sitting in wait in an old cell in total darkness and silence for an hour and a half, occasionally hearing footsteps below hoping they wouldn't come upstairs. It was a very eerie and atmospheric experience.

387340692_7785590971457800_2201140241288098542_n.jpg

Our view for 1hr 30 whilst we waited for sunrise getting stiff backs

As the sun came up, we began exploring and were absolutely chuffed with what we found. This all sounds very cheeky, but I have to say that this place has a certain sleepy-town charm to it, and I really didn't want to cause a disturbance. I'm also in great admiration of its staff for keeping this piece of local history running against the odds. It does require a certain level of respect.

StCadocs-30.jpg

The upper largely disused corridors. The section in the foreground must've been part of the original building connecting the wards (note the sash windows), whilst the sections beyond appear to be a post-war addition.

StCadocs-31.jpg

StCadocs-4.jpg

Siderooms

StCadocs-11.jpg

Dayroom

StCadocs-13.jpg

StCadocs-10.jpg

StCadocs-16.jpg

StCadocs-17.jpg

StCadocs-19.jpg

StCadocs-21.jpg

StCadocs-29.jpg

StCadocs-23.jpg

Cell still bearing a foam mattress

StCadocs-28.jpg

If you couldn't be asked to walk to the next room?

StCadocs-25.jpg

Love this room

StCadocs-26.jpg

Dormitory

StCadocs-32.jpg

StCadocs-38.jpg

StCadocs-39.jpg

I was thinking the rather tidy wood panelling was an addition from maybe the 70s or so? But could it be original?

StCadocs-42.jpg

StCadocs-44.jpg

StCadocs-47.jpg

Original sinks and tiling.

StCadocs-57.jpg

As we approached the more active upstairs ward, we decided to call it a day.

StCadocs-52.jpg

StCadocs-54.jpg

StCadocs-55.jpg

StCadocs-53.jpg

Immaculate :<3

Anyway, that's enough St. Cadocs before I wish I'd done a separate post. Upon leaving, we walked past several staff downstairs and bailed via the nearest door. After the big win, we went to a cafe round the corner and had an absolutely gorgeous celebratory breakfast for our sleepy adrenaline-rinsed souls.​

Last edited:

Wastelandr

Regular User

GLAMORGAN COUNTY LUNATIC ASYLUM, BRIGEND - GLANRHYD
Status - Still Active

Glanrhyd Brigend-3.jpg

Side of the rear of the main building

This one is just a little bonus as it's still a very much active NHS hospital and only has a few of the original asylum buildings remaining. It was built in a corridor plan and opened as the Glamorgan County Lunatic Asylum in 1864. Photographed is the chapel and what I assume was originally part of the main building. We should've walked around a bit more as the admin block looks a bit overgrown on Google Maps, although the building pictured backing straight into it is very much in use so I wouldn't hold your breath.

Glanrhyd Brigend-1.jpg

Glanrhyd Brigend-5.jpg

The rather nice chapel

Glanrhyd Brigend-6.jpg

CAMARTHENSHIRE, CARDIGAN & PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY ASYLUM
Status - Still Active

St Davids Camarthen-8.jpg

Admin of the main building

Another brief stop to an active site, we thought we'd give this one a quick look. It's still used as council offices or similar and seemingly partially still by the NHS. It comprises numerous annexes in addition to the main building, as well as a pretty nice chapel which looks gorgeous inside from photographs online. It opened in 1865, with wings added in the late 1870s.

St Davids Camarthen-7.jpg

The chapel.

BRISTOL LUNATIC ASYLUM - GLENSIDE UNIVERSITY CAMPUS
Status - Converted

GlensideCampus-7.jpg

The admin block

As promised, there would be a bonus explore. We finished our first trip quite early in the day so thought we probably ought to have something to see on the way home. Well a place of interest to us was what is now Glenside University Campus. It's a Health and Applied Sciences campus for Bristol University, converted from Bristol Lunatic Asylum, opening in 1861. We couldn't find a ton of info online but gathered it had a cafe, study spaces and other bits. Having been out of uni for 4 years I started feeling my age as we assembled our plan to infiltrate and tried to look as studenty as possible. Going around with a camera was an interesting experience as we didn't want to draw too much attention to ourselves. The highlight was probably the recreation hall, which is now a central cafe/study space. Hit by the sea of gilets and Groovy Chick wannabes probably on comedowns, it was a bit of a flashback to my own days at Exeter which should be called Surrey invades the West Country. Anyway, we managed to see as much as was accessible without a key fob which was quite a lot, even slipping into a lecture theatre inside what looked like a secondary recreation hall. Despite being repainted and tidied up, it still bears the bones of an asylum and made for something different.

GlensideCampus-2.jpg

GlensideCampus-3.jpg

The recreation hall - pretty impressive even converted

GlensideCampus-15.jpg

GlensideCampus-11.jpg

GlensideCampus-14.jpg

GlensideCampus-18.jpg

GlensideCampus-4.jpg

Perhaps a secondary hall?

GlensideCampus-20.jpg

What's now the student library/study space

GlensideCampus-16.jpg

Some original brickwork showing

GlensideCampus-21.jpg

GlensideCampus-23.jpg

It became very familiar once we discovered these typical wide asylum stairs

GlensideCampus-27.jpg

GlensideCampus-26.jpg

GlensideCampus-6.jpg

GlensideCampus-8.jpg

GlensideCampus-24.jpg

Corridor from above

GlensideCampus-9.jpg

The chapel - now the Glenside Museum which was closed at the time of visiting

Thanks for looking all, yet another disgustingly long post from me. I kept it to one page at least! I could've split these up but then I wanted to include the bonus places which wouldn't work on their own. Yes they're not all abandoned but I quite like to compare/contrast. We may not have seen everything but I'm pleased with what @KismetJ and I did. Our original goal was to manage two of the three good ones so I suppose we succeeded.

After doing St. Martins last summer, I got the bug and I've been largely focused on asylums since. I'm waiting on Cefn Coed and Goodmayes but otherwise, there's not much else and I'm going to be stuck with what's swiftly become an obsession. I've got myself hooked only to have to go cold turkey. What's worse is I spent the past 12 years sitting on my arse exploring bunkers that'll last forever. Quite an introspective ending. But I guess there'll be a day when even these will be long gone, so I guess better late than never.​

Last edited:

Wastelandr

Regular User
Well thats a epic report well done. i would of kept em all seperate personally lol
Cheers mate and thanks for the tips with Cadocs. Bit of a shame I never gave Cefn Coed a better shot but I think it was for the best.

Keeping them separate would have been the much more sensible option!

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Camarthern one os partly abandoned as I'm.sure u realised 😜 the church there does look good too

Wastelandr

Regular User
Camarthern one os partly abandoned as I'm.sure u realised 😜 the church there does look good too
Yes, shhhh ;) I do actually quite like having a look round the non-abandoned ones. I think the variety of different uses they've ended up with today is quite interesting.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I've been looking forward to having a read through this. Cracking report absolutely top notch from the explore stories to the photos. I can certainly see why you have got the asylum bug, they are all beautiful in their own way and all vary in condition, decay, and style. I laughed at your Mad Merv NPC comment as well :rofl

Wastelandr

Regular User
I've been looking forward to having a read through this. Cracking report absolutely top notch from the explore stories to the photos. I can certainly see why you have got the asylum bug, they are all beautiful in their own way and all vary in condition, decay, and style. I laughed at your Mad Merv NPC comment as well :rofl
It might take a while to get through :rofl . I do like the include the stories to look back on. They're all unique yet strangely familiar. Haha that's all you, I've noticed I've started saying NPC/spawned in and it works for a surprising range of situations :lol

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
It might take a while to get through :rofl . I do like the include the stories to look back on. They're all unique yet strangely familiar. Haha that's all you, I've noticed I've started saying NPC/spawned in and it works for a surprising range of situations :lol
Haha I thought you might have got that from me 😂 plenty more where that came from!

Who has read this thread (Total: 560) View details