real time web analytics
Information - - What tripod do you use? | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Information - What tripod do you use?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Underground I use a 7DayShop travel pro tripod, about £50-60, very light and easy to set up but a pain in the arse to have full height cos of the way the legs extend. overground I use a Manfrotto 718B (£25 second hand) as it's a bit easier to set up properly for a full height photo; it weighs a bit more than the 7day thing but is a joy to fully extend.

Adders

living in a cold world
Regular User
I mainly use a Velbon Ultra Maxi M, folds down to 33cm but extends up to 138cm. I paid about £45 a couple year ago but Amazon guide price is £65.

My back up is a Manfrotto 718B, a really nice tripod but not as small as my Velbon, and no longer made.

OverArch

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I managed to get hold of a 'used' manfrotto 055xprob through Wex. Turns out it was a Jessops ex-display one that they got as part of the liquidation of some of Jessops stock. The ball head I had to buy for it cost the same amount! It is super sturdy but a bit on the heavy side (~2.5kg) and quite bulky as its only a three piece rather than a four piece one. Also have a manfrotto befree which is smaller, lighter and easier to work with in tight spots, but it doesn't have a panning head. The befree replaced my Hahnel Triad 30 which, looking back, is cheap for a reason!

PopPunkJamie

Irregular User
28DL Full Member
I have a Hama Traveller Compact Pro, I always take it out with me but I very rarely use it because I'm lazy. Got it on offer a while ago for about £40, think it's cheaper these days

WhoDaresWins

Let's do this
Regular User
I managed to get hold of a 'used' manfrotto 055xprob through Wex. Turns out it was a Jessops ex-display one that they got as part of the liquidation of some of Jessops stock. The ball head I had to buy for it cost the same amount! It is super sturdy but a bit on the heavy side (~2.5kg) and quite bulky as its only a three piece rather than a four piece one. Also have a manfrotto befree which is smaller, lighter and easier to work with in tight spots, but it doesn't have a panning head. The befree replaced my Hahnel Triad 30 which, looking back, is cheap for a reason!

Thing is that 055xprob is way to bulky to be lugging it over fences and through tight gaps etc. Surely it's a bit of a burden? How do you rate the befree? Can you put different heads on it? I'd like to have the same ball head as the one on my clamp, saves changing over the plates that way.

OverArch

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thing is that 055xprob is way to bulky to be lugging it over fences and through tight gaps etc. Surely it's a bit of a burden? How do you rate the befree? Can you put different heads on it? I'd like to have the same ball head as the one on my clamp, saves changing over the plates that way.

I tend to use the befree for UE stuff and the 055 for landscapes. I haven't yet been on a UE trip thinking that i should have bought the 055 instead. The befree is sturdy enough and small enough for UE, and it comes with its own carry case. The head on it is interchangable too so i could put my 498 ball head on it if i wanted but it wouldn't fit in the carry case!

As a general point I'd stay away from 3-way heads. Ball heads are much more useful and less things to go wrong with them.

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Ok while I'm happy with my Manfrotto 190.. Underground it's a nightmare on the back of my lowpro.. So looking for a lightweight more compact option to take my 5D and 17-40 combo. Would a 718 take that sort of weight?

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Ok while I'm happy with my Manfrotto 190.. Underground it's a nightmare on the back of my lowpro.. So looking for a lightweight more compact option to take my 5D and 17-40 combo. Would a 718 take that sort of weight?

You can try out my 718SHB sometime.

Who has read this thread (Total: 2) View details