real time web analytics
Question - - What's the coolest thing you've ever found on an urbex? | General Exploring Chat Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - What's the coolest thing you've ever found on an urbex?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mad Manx

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is just a quick, interesting question - what is the coolest thing you've ever found exploring somewhere? I'm posting this as I went to a secret bottle dump between Tilbury and Coalhouse Fort along the coastal path and found two pocket watches, some rare bottles and (yes, indeed) a grenade which I just chucked into the rocks and ran :) Sorry no pictures as camera still broken from Red Sands boat tour.

The Amateur Wanderer

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I guess everyone has a different opinion as to what's 'cool' and what's not, I've picked up a few interesting items over the years, but my favourites are probably these two Reyrolle catalogues and manuals. I'm sure many people would argue that they're not too interesting compared with some of the other bits in my collection, but I like them all the same, been a bit of a control room freak.

I picked these two up along with many other dillapidated bits of paperwork from the substation at Pilkingtons, Kirk Sandall. Pretty rare to see two full manuals like these nowadays, you see the odd booklet selling on ebay from time to time but I've never seen complete folders like these up for sale before. Got around a 100 individual brochures split between the two folders. On average a single brochure on ebay sells for around 25 quid so a pretty canny find really! Not that I'd ever sell either of them... Got the engineers notes and pencil drawn diagrams tucked away in the back too :)

On a side note, I've never seen anyone upload pics from the substation at Pilko's, will have to whack mine up sometime.

I have stacks of paper work like this with cross sections and engineers drawings, but these are amongst my favourite.

27010561215_7dcd98a995_c.jpg

Some proper nice pics of sample Reyrolle control pannels and rooms, and a useful index of future derps, Grimsby Ice factory is mentioned and pictured as well a Coryton if we're talking recent popular spots...

26942173991_98821a1cf9_c.jpg

26406664143_286f79a8cb_c.jpg

26977116936_07f12e29d0_z.jpg

Control Layouts.

26977152786_0154f7f500_c.jpg

26977154526_730db19f46_c.jpg

Been meaning to sort a scanner out for this kinda thing, if it proves of interest to folk I'll try speed up the process, that said, there's quite the pile mounting... Not all from derps either, I do genuinely collect this sort of stuff...

Got a lovely fold out plan and station guide for Ferrybridge 'A' somewhere in there, I'll have to dig it out.

TAW :)

Last edited:

SWITCHJUNKY

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I guess everyone has a different opinion as to what's 'cool' and what's not, I've picked up a few interesting items over the years, but my favourites are probably these two Reyrolle catalogues and manuals. I'm sure many people would argue that they're not too interesting compared with some of the other bits in my collection, but I like them all the same, been a bit of a control room freak.

I picked these two up along with many other dillapidated bits of paperwork from the substation at Pilkingtons, Kirk Sandall. Pretty rare to see two full manuals like these nowadays, you see the odd booklet selling on ebay from time to time but I've never seen complete folders like these up for sale before. Got around a 100 individual brochures split between the two folders. On average a single brochure on ebay sells for around 25 quid so a pretty canny find really! Not that I'd ever sell either of them... Got the engineers notes and pencil drawn diagrams tucked away in the back too :)

On a side note, I've never seen anyone upload pics from the substation at Pilko's, will have to whack mine up sometime.

I have stacks of paper work like this with cross sections and engineers drawings, but these are amongst my favourite.

27010561215_7dcd98a995_c.jpg

Some proper nice pics of sample Reyrolle control pannels and rooms, and a useful index of future derps, Grimsby Ice factory is mentioned and pictured as well a Coryton if we're talking recent popular spots...

26942173991_98821a1cf9_c.jpg

26406664143_286f79a8cb_c.jpg

26977116936_07f12e29d0_z.jpg

Control Layouts.

26977152786_0154f7f500_c.jpg

26977154526_730db19f46_c.jpg

Been meaning to sort a scanner out for this kinda thing, if it proves of interest to folk I'll try speed up the process, that said, there's quite the pile mounting... Not all from derps either, I do genuinely collect this sort of stuff...

Got a lovely fold out plan and station guide for Ferrybridge 'A' somewhere in there, I'll have to dig it out.

TAW :)
Take only, pictures!!, Leave only footprints?????, Thats what every body keeps banging on about on here,, Nice book though, and good that you saved it,

Mad Manx

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Wow yeah they're cool. I know that it is a tough call to take stuff from a site as it can make it look bad but I think its good to keep these in private collections like this. They're history, and should be saved for other generations to enjoy. Thanks for the posts guys )

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Take only, pictures!!, Leave only footprints?????, Thats what every body keeps banging on about on here,, Nice book though, and good that you saved it,

I'm not sure anyone on here has ever banged on about that mate!

Epic booklets too. I have some similar somewhere. Does it say where those control rooms were?

The Amateur Wanderer

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Cheers chaps,

Certain things like these booklets are just crying out to be saved no qualms about taking them when they're submerged in water and rotting, if they'd have been left they'd probably be too water damaged to handle by now, as it happens they're now in as close to tip top condition as they could be salvaged! A good drying out has done them a world of good. Where some lovely drawings of the J&E Hall compressors at Grimsby, but after 20 odd years in the elements they just crumbled when handled sadly...

Certainly does mention where they are, not too many illustrations of control rooms but there's a rather useful index of Reyrolle fitted sites in the index. I'll see about getting it scanned or photographed soon. Looks like there was a gorgeous control room at Coryton, makes me wonder what it's fate was, or if it's still out there lurking...

Last edited: