real time web analytics
Report - - Whittingham Asylum, Lancashire, Dec 13 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Whittingham Asylum, Lancashire, Dec 13

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

H1971

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I had visited this beautiful asylum earlier in the year with no luck. Headed back with ZeroUe Urbex who had had the heads up, and we were in :-)
I must admit at first I was thinking this old girl is too far gone, you constantly have to watch your stepping and I did infact lose my leg at one point lol. It wasn't until I got home and uploaded the pics that I realised that she still holds her own. Forgive me for not taking any externals, I honestly didn't think I was going to put a report up.

History - In 1866, the three Lancashire lunatic asylums at Prestwich, Rainhill and Lancaster were deemed to be full. Extra accommodation was urgently needed and to this end the building of Whittingham Asylum began in 1869. The hospital was designed by Henry Littler of Manchester, Architect to the Lancashire Asylums Board and built of red brick made from clay dug on site. The buildings followed a plan of multiple quadrangles with inter-connecting corridors radiating from a long axial corridor section.
The hospital officially opened on 1 April 1873. The large complex (later known as St. Luke's Division) had an initial capacity of 1000 inmates and included an Anglican church, a Catholic chapel, a recreation hall and a large farm estate. In 1878 a new annexe (later known as St. John's Division) was built on 68 acres of land to the north of the site. The annexe was completed in 1880 and accommodated 115 patients and, by the special agreement of the Postmaster General, the hospital's own dedicated Post Office. In 1884, a sanatorium was established in the grounds for patients with infectious diseases.In 1892 works began for the grounds to be illuminated by electric lamps; these works were completed in 1894. Around this time an annexe called Cameron House was opened to the northwest of the main building, joined in 1912 by a third annexe, later to become known as St Margaret's division. By 1915 the number of inmates was recorded as 2,820 - more than double the asylum's original capacity.

Pics -
whittingham002_zps62f0df27.jpg

whittingham008_zps2abdf2ea.jpg

whittingham015_zpsc9181f2f.jpg

whittingham017_zpsefec4b59.jpg

whittingham028_zpsaa309388.jpg

whittingham030_zpsde9f87db.jpg

whittingham034_zps59b3bd9b.jpg

whittingham049_zps217422dc.jpg

whittingham050_zps1f0d22ac.jpg

whittingham060_zpsfe38db35.jpg

whittingham063_zps050d298d.jpg