real time web analytics
Report - - Workers Deep Shelters - Pagefield Mill Wigan - July 13 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Workers Deep Shelters - Pagefield Mill Wigan - July 13

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Stopford_lad

foul-mouthed oaf
28DL Full Member
Workers Deep level shelters - Wigan

After getting endless texts off Tom about a walkabout in Wigan, I decided to take him up on his kind offer and pay
a Sunday morning visit to the pie-eating capital of the UK :D This was the second stop on a whistle-stop tour

History

Built on the site of Pagefield Mill in Wigan.These deep shelters are basic concrete built blast tunnels, running in
a cross section and out towards the park opposite.
Each section of tunnel is about 6 ft wide by 7 ft high, and between 25 and 50 ft in length would have housed roughly
200 or so workers from the mill above ground.

Until 2006 they had been sealed, but have since played host to a raft of visitors, most recently myself
and Mr Tom Sherman.

Access was pure comedy, and the sight of two fully grown adolecents clambering 15 foot up a tree in a busy
park, must have been a sight to behold...although spooking a courting couple on the way back down was
worth the trip alone

Cheers to Tom for the tour :thumb

newspaper_zps051cd4f6.jpg

A quick climb down and were in, first impressions...it's small damp and dark

DSC_0350_zps1b16bf4e.jpg

remnants of years gone, mostly chair frames, benches, tinnies, and tea-lights

DSC_0328_zpse2eca3a8.jpg

DSC_0349_zpsa8958fa5.jpg

a caged section of tunnel, back-filled like the majority of the end sections down here

DSC_0331_zps86a9b1ee.jpg

I had to put the tea-lights to good use as the lenser was on it's way out

DSC_0347_zps28f69206.jpg

Well signposted, but also fairly modern spray signage, almost certainly not from the 40's

DSC_0335_zpsa8d948d2.jpg

all in, a decent little explore and another shelter ticked off the list :thumb

Cheers for looking​

Last edited: