real time web analytics
Report - - Yeadon, West Yorkshire | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Yeadon, West Yorkshire

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
Yeadon in West Yorkshire is the site of the AVRO Satellite Factory for producing Lancaster Bombers in WW2 as well as AVRO Ansons & Yorks (Cargo version of the Lancaster, used mainly in the Berlin Airlift) RAF Yeadon (Now Leeds/Bradford Airport) was next door and the airfield was used by the factory:
Yeadon.jpg

Survey of Military Artifacts in the area.
The AVRO factory is now a bonded warehouse complex. and is the origanl factory re-clad in the 1980's
The ROC Bunker (ROC Group HQ No18) accoss the road is in the middle of a secure car storage area.

Site1.jpg

The main subject is a almost complete Heavy Anti-Aircraft Site near to Carlton Hall Farm, just of the old Otley road.

Last edited:

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
Site of 3.7" HAA Gun Site of 644 HAA Battery RA
37fixed.jpg

Example of 3.7" Gun in a open location

Yeasdon05.jpg

View from roof of Control Bunker (Note that bunker is flooded)

Yeadon06.jpg

Predictor Plinth within the Control Bunker area

DSCN0806.jpg

The site is adjoint to the farm, and used for lambing in the spring, sheep and lambs use buildings for shelter. Farmer does not mind visitors at any other time. Control bunker is flooded except in a dry summer, and only fenced to keep sheep out.
One of the Four prepared Gun Sites

DSCN0807.jpg

Gun Plinth still show where bolts were cut to the ground
(Bolts would have been fixed in the plinth, with the gun bolted to it)

DSCN0809.jpg

Ammo Locker around Gun Pit (6 in number)

DSCN0810.jpg

Inside crew shelter - Crew sheltered here while on 'standby'
A Nisson Hut (Now demolished) near the farm provided warmer shelter on 'stand-down' during a shift.

DSCN0811.jpg

Entry to crew shelter

DSCN0817.jpg

View of another gun pit from top of control bunker

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
AVRO FACTORY

yeadon_1.jpg

Rare WW2 Photo of AVRO Yeadon showing earth banks and camoflaged top.
Nearby Yeadon Tarn was drained and painted on the roof to confuse enemy bombers.

yeadon_2.jpg

WW2 view of main assemby shed producing Lancaster Bombers.

SANY0024.jpg

2007 view of same doors still in use for a vast warehouse feeding Asda Supermarkets.
I was able to go inside, but photography was not allowed

SANY0025.jpg

The rest of the frontage. No longer with earth banking

SANY0031.jpg

One of the 'Emergancy Doors' showing its wartime parantage. Note the slopping sides and roof where the earth bank once was, and still patly is to the right.

SANY0028.jpg

This shot is further down where the land slopes, and shows an upper & lower level. Where I am told AVRO and a RAF MU repaired fighter aircraft by cannibalising crashed airframes.

SANY0032.jpg

I also found this tower which is just outside the boundry fence.
I think it is a Ventalation Shaft for the Harrogate to Leeds Railway line that goes underground at Pool Bank

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
ROC Group HQ No18 - Yeadon (Nr Leeds) West Yorkshire​

Third location in the Yeadon area is the ROC Group HQ across the road from Yeadon Airport Industrial Estate. For years it was hard to get to as it was within a secure vehicle storage compound. However recent changes means it is now accessible at times.

I am still however trying to gain access to the inside of this bunker by diplomatic means with the new owner. It has changed sinceits ROC days however as its last use was by the Royal Navy Reserve. So much of the ROC content has been removed.

SANY0035.jpg

SANY0016.jpg

Notice the modern looking air-conditioning units installed which are not NBC filters!
SANY0018.jpg

SANY0023.jpg

SANY0019.jpg

Not sure about the CCTV mast? I think it has more to door with the car compound next door, who used to own the bunker as well.

SANY0017.jpg

Standard ROC ladder hatch used as rear escape. Looks as if locked from inside.

S

spudy

Rather than start a new thread i will post my pic's in ordnance's thread as it's the same location...

Hope thats fine :thumb

f57d813c.jpg

Inside the H.A.A command bunker
2506d5a0.jpg

Water water everywhere
48bcd99d.jpg

Poss flagpole/comunication's antenna ?
8b3809d7.jpg

Inside crew shelter on H.A.A emplacment 2
c97db820.jpg

From the roof of the emplacment..you can clearly see the mounts and the lay of the driveshaft
d42e4426.jpg

View from top of the command bunker toward's the above gun emplacment
e3057128.jpg

All four emplacment's(just) and control bunker

Last edited by a moderator: