real time web analytics
Your LONGEST abandoned explore? | General Exploring Chat Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Your LONGEST abandoned explore?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

PureFilth

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hello folks,

I was looking through some threads today and noticing how crappy some can look in terms of condition when they are relatively recently derelict, and how pristine they can look when long empty, which generally comes down to security and protection from the elements.

But it got me wondering... what's the longest abandoned place you've explored? Not talking shells and ruins of course, but actual buildings with stuff in that are worth documenting?

Obviously you don't have to name the actual place if you don't wish to, but just an idea of the time frames i.e 5 years/10 years/20 years and so on. Pics of the condition of the place with the time span are a bonus!

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Great Tew Manor in Oxfordshire hasn't been lived in properly since 1914, although part of it is sectioned off as an apartment and it's been sporadically used by the family for storage and other purposes since. The family who owned it live in the smaller property behind the manor, although it was sold a couple of years ago to Rupert Murdoch.

Olkka

Chillin at the structure
Regular User
A good question, I think most answers will be something underground because the demolition turnover rate is so low. You have dozens of air raid shelters which will have been more or less redundant since the War, plus some of the ghost stations on the Tube have been disused since before the War, but these are technically 'shells' although evoke more photographic substance than your typical ruin. But it is very rare actually to find a full-bodied, surface level derp (that can hold its own) which was abandoned before the 80s I'd say? I'm sure @Terminal Decline can nerd out on this and create a nice list

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Usually if its "higher risk" it keeps the goons out. As mookster says Tew is a good example, cos its connected to live house, well looked after & not easy access it hasnt changed for years

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Another lengthy one I did came to mind, the RKO Proctor's Theater in Newark, New Jersey has been abandoned since 1968, I also explored a military hospital over there which was last used in 1979. Both still in surprisingly good shape considering the length of abandonment.

Boiga

Somewhat Radioactive
28DL Full Member
For me it's Chernobyl. Spent 2 days in the zone and there was so much to document and learn about. Got a 5 day tour coming up in September, if shit doesn't hit the fan.

I am what you call an Arm Chair explorer, I've really only ever done Cocking Lime Works, Shoreham Cement Works and the mill in Hailsham - they were all shot on black and white film for my photgraphy GCSE way back in 2006 - so negatives are gone but not forgotten. ha.

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
A good question, I think most answers will be something underground because the demolition turnover rate is so low. You have dozens of air raid shelters which will have been more or less redundant since the War, plus some of the ghost stations on the Tube have been disused since before the War, but these are technically 'shells' although evoke more photographic substance than your typical ruin. But it is very rare actually to find a full-bodied, surface level derp (that can hold its own) which was abandoned before the 80s I'd say? I'm sure @Terminal Decline can nerd out on this and create a nice list

Brislington War Rooms was pretty untouched since 1981 so I mean that's nearly 40 years abandoned when we go in.

I think maybe Bristol Bomb Proof Storage for me - that's been abandoned probably since the 70's maybe

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User
Tone Mills? People have been going there for years.

edit: I've never been but must be like 15 years. Millennium Mills would be another.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Tone Mills? People have been going there for years.

edit: I've never been but must be like 15 years. Millennium Mills would be another.

The dye house I believe was abandoned around 2003, not sure about the main mill complex down the road though.

jST

LLS.
Regular User
That old underground medical centre / shelter in Sheff must have some significant vintage behind it.

Who has read this thread (Total: 352) View details