real time web analytics
Report - - Aldershot Garrison Water Supply, Hampshire - December 2013. | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Aldershot Garrison Water Supply, Hampshire - December 2013.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin

Aldershot Garrison Water Supply, Hampshire

1.jpg

Having been holed up down South atm, I had a kind offer of visiting this place one evening having missed out on the earlier trip with BHG & BBA

All told it was a rushed job (literally) and I only just made the last train back thanks to soylent green driving at warp speed :thumb

I've been lazy with the history here, so I'll share what Ordnance kindly posted a while back

South of an area known as 'Caesar’s Camp' on the A287 which was a major water catchment area for Aldershot Camp which had its own water supply from Aldershot Town

There were (and still are) a number of uncovered reservoir's and until recent years a water tower and pump house on the other side of the road

These would feed smaller header reservoirs and water towers in the camp which in turn fed tanks in the roofs of the barracks

..And

The old hutted Aldershot Camp dates from the 1880's after the Crimean War when it replaced an earlier tented camp

When the Water Works & Catchment Area started to be built, the date of this structure I do not know, but it has not been in action since the at least the late 50's

Above ground it's difficult to realise there is anything about until you look a bit closer

A number of ornate cast iron breathers hide amongst the shrubbery, as well as some locked hatches dotted about being the only clue here

Below, there are 4 separate Reservoirs, three large rectangular (only one accessible) and a smaller rotund one

2.jpg

A couple of the hatches were flapping in the wind so I descended some rusty ladders to inspect below..

The rectangular one was the most interesting, larger in scale and with the absence of any water these days a pipe and some valves held up by a vaulted roof & pillars, what else did you expect :p:

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Conscious of the time we headed out and descended into the smaller round resi

There wasn't much to see here so a couple of pics before we raced for the train!

6.jpg

7.jpg

That's all folks

bhg

In Search of Lost Time
Regular User
Some great shots Ojay! Love the way you photographed this place!

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
I'll give you a bell this week Tucker, thought you was still in Sheff, seen as yer back down saaf ;)

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great location, shots and impressive lighting skills :)

Like the first one very Alien....esc beware the Egg Pods :eek:
A-R

soylent green

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Cracking pictures Ojay! I will have to get myself one of them big torches:) . Can't believe we made it back in time for your last train:)

Altair

Poking holes since '84
28DL Full Member
Excellent pictures with great lighting as usual. Looks quality does that!