real time web analytics
Report - - Arghi Barghi, Macclesfield Sept 2016 | UK Draining Forum | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Arghi Barghi, Macclesfield Sept 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mondeo

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I thought this was named by Paul Powers on account of there being a nearby italian restaurant? [Edit: Thanks for clearing up @Mondeo !]

Just curious, as I like local slang, what does it mean?

No idea why everyone calls it that, always been know by the locals, doesn't mean anything just easier to say I guess.

Looks tidier than my 2008 visit, which is now archived on an abandoned urbex site

M.

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Arghi barghi is a corruption of argie bargie / argy bargy / argle bargle, meaning a verbal dispute. From the Scottish argle meaning to argue.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I do remember it being one or t'other. Strange name for a furniture shop though I must say, but then the urbexers in Cheshire must be a posher lot, you have waitrose in those parts I do believe, hahaha. I realize about the member now, do believe it was meant to be Bungle. No worries.

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ah, fair enough, thought it sounded Italian. 1854! Strange place for two italians to decamp and set up shop all those years back, but one learns something new everyday.

No worries, I did mean the local cheshire urbexers. No harm, nor foul intended.

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
Strange place for two italians to decamp and set up shop all those years back
The Napoleonic wars left northern Italy with a destroyed agriculture and consequently many farmers were forced to emigrate, a few thousand moved to the British isles (and many more to the US) in the first half of the nineteenth century, followed by other trades following the collapse of the economy.
No harm, nor foul intended.
None perceived dude.

Who has read this thread (Total: 227) View details