real time web analytics
Question - - Asbestos | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | Page 3 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Asbestos

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Status
Not open for further replies.

rossko90

28DL Member
28DL Member
Even your pp3 mask is rendered useless as it is not a double filltered mask. The only mask suitable for usage in a know asbestos location is a full face custom made to fit only your face.

Even at that contamination from asbestos particles is still not fully wiped out by wearing a mask alone. The particles stick to your clothing and equipment so to be hoonest you need a complete decontamination wash down and clean clothes the minute that you leave the building of which your have been exploring. leaving ur equipment in the dirty side of the shower as it must be cleaned.

diehardlove

1 of them cnuts off 28dsl
28DL Full Member
I just live by the fact that all this cant be any worst than smoking/drinking and all the shit thats in our food and all the antibiotic ridden meat we eat and on top of that all the solvents that leech out the paint on your walls and chemical ridden fabric we wear and medication and vaccinations that we have no idea whats in,Just take the best means you can to stay safe and if thats not enough for you then just dont explore drink smoke cross the road eat meat paint your walls wear non organic cotton or basically live as it all involves chance and probability.

Bunk3r

28DL Memb3r
28DL Full Member
Even your pp3 mask is rendered useless as it is not a double filltered mask. The only mask suitable for usage in a know asbestos location is a full face custom made to fit only your face.

Even at that contamination from asbestos particles is still not fully wiped out by wearing a mask alone. The particles stick to your clothing and equipment so to be hoonest you need a complete decontamination wash down and clean clothes the minute that you leave the building of which your have been exploring. leaving ur equipment in the dirty side of the shower as it must be cleaned.

that would certainly go a long way to ensure you dont inhale any, but kindof pointless in all the extra effort if you light a cigarette on the way home. I dont smoke but still the analogy is still there. as I said before, well actually here is what i said before:
yes in the same way that it only takes one cigarette or one ray of radiation to mutate a cell in the wrong way to cause cancer. but in practice there is background radiation but the chances are most of us will get through life fine. Exposure to more radiation can move the odds but it comes down probabilities the amount and duration of exposures. I think this is perfectly analogous to asbestos.

Personally If I suspect there's a significant amount I use a paper p3 rated mask, because its small cheap and easy and stops me taking in lungfulls at a time. yes a rubber mask will work better, but as I say as long as Im not getting lung fulls Im happy. likewise I could get paranoid and wear a full hazmat suit thing but again its just about reducing it. I think there is a back ground asbestos level everyone inhales some, its back to the radiation analogy.

more interesting controversy: Health and Safety Executive asbestos ads were wilfully misleading

Im a cautious person so I fear now Im arguing my point strongly for the worse as usually Im normally the first to pull out hard hats and p3 masks, but my point is for me its about limiting the dose, not stopping every particle.

stevev

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: Asbestos :You should visit the HSE site

Asbestos is only a danger when fibres are made airborne.

disposable FFP3 type masks are suitable but that is only a small part of the risk the fibres may be on your clothes or even your boot laces!

a key factor in the risk of developing an asbestos-related disease is the total number of fibres breathed in. Working on or near damaged asbestos-containing materials or breathing in high levels of asbestos fibres, which may be many hundreds of times that of environmental levels could increase your chances of getting an asbestos-related disease. If you have visited any industrial site posted on this site you may have been at risk of exsposure if the asbestos had been disturbed.

Mesothelioma; by the time it is diagnosed, it is almost always fatal

Thgis is a very good site as you would expect>

Why is asbestos dangerous?

Highway_Star

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
My dad died from Mesothelioma, aged 65. Just about a year after he was diagnosed. He had been ill for some time before diagnosis though.

He didn't work with Asbestos personally, however it was present lagging the pipes on the early RN nuclear submarine reactors where he worked in the '60s and '70s (HMS Dreadnought & the Reso class bombers for example). He was never in the reactor compartment when the pipes were being lagged or de lagged, only when this process was complete and the area clean and air tested. Apparently not well enough.

Having seen all too up close and personal what this stuff does to the human body, I can only urge everyone to take the greatest of care. Most colleges run a one day course on dealing with Asbestos in the workplace, I took it and very much more aware of the stuff now. I've left more than one site because either the site aren't managing it properly, or in one place the IT cabling people started cutting holes in an AIB (Asbestos Insulating Board) panel, and didn't understand the problem! It was covered in warning stickers.

Alias

like marmite
28DL Full Member
65 is a good innings though...I dont see myself lasting that long anyway

canute

货车司机和国王
28DL Full Member
As it happens we've got a sweepstake running on that mate. I've got you down for next Thursday. :thumb

Mr Styru - just to let you know that that sniper rifle you ordered is ready for collection

TWD

28DL Member
28DL Member
65 is a good innings though...I dont see myself lasting that long anyway

No disrespect Alias, and I really mean that. Been watching this forum for a long long time, am well aware of your awesome photos and you have made me laugh many a time with your (rightly) flaming in the past. But I didn't enjoy that, a man's life was cut short from a disease. From a guy who nearly lost his dad in 1990 and then again in 1996 from cancer, didn't appreciate that one fella. I could have lost him at 63, and to be honest as a 15 year old I didn't consider that a good innings.

Really do respect your thing though mate, and I wish you all the best. Just needed to have my say, for a change.

explorer62

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

^^^^ this.

The asbestos worry nearly stopped me engaging in UE but in the end I decided what the heck - something else will probably see me off first anyway and unless you wanna go with the above ....

That's not to say I am entirely dismissive of it - I just don't worry hugely about it and don't wear a mask as I don't have access to a full decontamination unit.

It's a personal choice at the end of the day.

Matt.

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Agreed with explorer62, I mean a mask simply won't do much, if anything.
Especially those spray painting masks everyone wears, or a scarf tied across the face,
if that's the only effort you're going to take, you might as well not bother.

If you're that worried, you'd take a collapsable shower and decontam' suit.
I personally don't wear a mask, I have on occasion but only due to the
excessive smell of pigeon shit. For asbestos - 30c mask = pointless.

pbob2513

28DL Member
28DL Member
A P3 Mask is good but asbestos dont worry about it so much,, its the bacteria and toxic black mould which is the real problem....

NickUk

Ermahgerd
28DL Full Member
If we all spent our time worrying about what COULD happen, we wouldn't leave the house and we'd all be nervous wrecks.

diehardlove

1 of them cnuts off 28dsl
28DL Full Member
What a absolute loads of fucking bollocks by twats who have no fucking idea what so ever,
You smoke 1 fag it increases your chances of dieing of cancer you get 1 fiber in your lungs of asbestos it scratches it and causes it to scar and increases the chances of cancer so you honestly think a dust mask will do fuck all when you take it off and take your clothes off at night with 1000s and 1000s of fibers still on your hands clothes feet bag etc etc floating around ready to breath in get fucking real its only any good with a decon shower and full gear,
Bit like wearing condom but snipping the end off.
Why not wear a oxygen mask when you go in a smokers house might help you not get cancer pmsl.

And as for the people who had people die of cancer yeah so have i 4 family members 2 of lung cancer 2 of different types guess what none smoked or was exposed to asbestos its the fucking world we live don't mean we should change our lives due to that id be more worried about the shit we eat or the shit in our water.

If it worries you that much dont fucking explore start knitting or baking but wear oven gloves incase you burn your self full fucking stop.
FFS CANT A MOD CLOSE THIS SHIT AS ITS JUST GOING ON AND ON ABOUT BOLLOCKS THATS BEEN COVERED A MILLION TIMES AND IS IN THE FAQS !!!!!!!!!!!!!! if your worried wear a pp3 but for ffs burn your cloths bags shoes etc etc after going anywhere else or just do what the rest of us do and use your head and common sense simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.