real time web analytics
Report - - Bass Maltings Sleaford, Lincolnshire, June 2012 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bass Maltings Sleaford, Lincolnshire, June 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

layz

Conquistador d'Wolverton
28DL Full Member
Hey Guys,
Visited here with Andrew B and Dubbed Navigator recently.

The Explore

Ever since I first visited the Bass Maltings I have been enchanted by it ruinous state, and dumbfounded by its sheer scale. This Grade II* listed structure has had a rather unfortunate history, being too big to be commerically viable, and suffering at the hands of several arsonists.

Today the maltings awaits redevolopment as a residential/commerical and retail park. The scheme can be found here: Bass Maltings Planning Application, however it has always been my opinion that this building be left to decay in peace as a ruin. The scheme does little justice to the build quality and history of the site, appearing to care more about how many residential units can be crammed into its gutted shell, than how a contemporary intervention might sit alongside a building of such scale.

Not only do the matlings dwarf the town of Sleaford they are a local icon and although I am not a resident of Sleaford I hope that the maltings may continue to ‘rot in peace’ and serve as a sublime memorial to our vanishing historic industrial landscape. For more information about the malting process at Sleaford see my earlier report

The Bass Maltings were built between 1903 and 1906 by Bass Ratcliff & Gretton's chief Engineer and Architect Herbert A Couchman. The maltings at Sleaford are considered Couchman's best work, however his earlier Shobnall Maltings (1891) bears many resemblances:

Couchman's Shobnall Maltings:
5825891b.jpg

The Maltings when completed in 1906
7a0ee0cd.jpg

81137da5.jpg

f5f081e8.jpg

3ba7b08b.jpg

e2fe00d7.jpg

d04bf0fd.jpg

b5f3acff.jpg

a9166f2f.jpg

23b5ca4d.jpg