real time web analytics
Report - - Birkdale school for the deaf - August 2020 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Birkdale school for the deaf - August 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Bazza74

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The history
Originally built in 1904 as a boys boarding school it was taken over in 1948 by The Liverpool School for the Deaf. The name was later changed to the Birkdale School for Hearing Impaired Children. It was eventually closed in 2003 and has been empty since. One end of the main building was partially demolished after the inevitable fire in 2010. There have been a lot of housing plans for the building and it’s large grounds, the most recent redevelopment project which was approved in 2018 and included the rebuilding of the fire damaged end, is for conversion into a £35 million pound retirement village. The more modern part of the site that has been reported on here in the past was demolished in March 2020 and recently a lot of construction containers have arrived I assume in readiness for the conversion.

The explore
The main building has become accessible of late so I took the opportunity to explore a building that has long intrigued me.
I should point out there are a lot of asbestos warnings on site so take care if you plan to visit!
I found the fire damaged rooms quite eerie and was also surprised by the size inside, a lot of corridors and room after room would appear when you thought you’d covered everything.

Where the modern section once stood

Swimming pool still remaining

Main staircase

Assembly hall?

one of the many fireplaces from its boarding school days?

Fire damaged sections
View attachment

Shaun

28DL Regular User
28DL Full Member
Did you not check over the collapsed floors in the old junior section? I found that's where most of the old stuff is left.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
This place fascinates me. The tiny bit thats demo`d and the rest thats left youve think it was a demo stopped just after starting. I knew it was being saved due to others reports. Just cant wait to see how they rebuild that demo`d bit.

Its a stunning building and deserves some proper care. Nice to know they did that due to fire, not sure Ive read that before. Youve done a good job of covering this place. Seen some bits Ive never seen before.:thumb

Bazza74

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This place fascinates me. The tiny bit thats demo`d and the rest thats left youve think it was a demo stopped just after starting. I knew it was being saved due to others reports. Just cant wait to see how they rebuild that demo`d bit.

Its a stunning building and deserves some proper care. Nice to know they did that due to fire, not sure Ive read that before. Youve done a good job of covering this place. Seen some bits Ive never seen before.:thumb
I agree good to see they’re saving it tk
Below is a link to the plans for the rebuild,

that’s a similar picture to shown in the plans (the opposite side to building)

Shaun

28DL Regular User
28DL Full Member

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) this is the first main building post fire report

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
I agree good to see they’re saving it tk
Below is a link to the plans for the rebuild,

that’s a similar picture to shown in the plans (the opposite side to building)
Looks like a good plan. Nice to see they are keeping within the area and design that already exists