real time web analytics
Report - - Blind Tarn Quarry, Coniston, July 2015 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Blind Tarn Quarry, Coniston, July 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Keynsham

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Small beer compared to Moss Head but still big enough to loose the light from my FX3. Goldscope or Blind Tarn quarry was worked before 1772. It was worked into the 20th century, the last leaseholder being Tom Kendall of Torver.
Goldscope%20012_zpsz5woxyyy.jpg

Blind Tarn
Goldscope%20041_zpslrco87k4.jpg

The closehead is said to be about 150 Yds long with some rail still in place. It is partly backfilled to make a level floor.
Goldscope%20043_zpsy8qwzycv.jpg

Struggling to light the back of the closehead.
Goldscope%20048_zpsfvgn3rsk.jpg

Artwork.
00ddedd1-dc20-42c2-beea-19214fee5a37_zpsyknuvtpz.jpg

This looks like a tunnel into another chamber but is only a partition in one big chamber. The curtain of rock is not supported by much.
Goldscope%20074_zpsd7h3cf4o.jpg

The way out
Goldscope%20076_zpsratvflet.jpg

The view from the entrance
Goldscope%20077_zpsy0krgqxe.jpg

Cove quarries. For another day.
Thanks for looking.

Mutagen

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice work dude. Hadn't realised there was one up by Blind Tarn - have to have a revisit and check this one out. Thanks for posting!

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Nicely done :thumb

There's so many small mines on the fellsides around the Coniston and Duddon area, most have little or no history or documentation. All are well worth a nosey though.

stonemonkey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
fantastic report keynsham. did well to light it up so well seeing as you were solo too. this is one of our hideouts, not in the mine/cave but in the area. cant give too much away but if its defo where im thinkin then you will know where we doss down. ;)

Keynsham

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
fantastic report keynsham. did well to light it up so well seeing as you were solo too. this is one of our hideouts, not in the mine/cave but in the area. cant give too much away but if its defo where im thinkin then you will know where we doss down. ;)

Thanks for the kind words. I think I saw the spot, fine view but looks very uncomfortable.