real time web analytics
Report - - Boredomiser, Derby - Sept 2010 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Boredomiser, Derby - Sept 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

WB

28DL Wood Burner
28DL Full Member
Boredomiser Culvert, Derby. Visited by Thompski & Woodburner

After much fun in Megatron with Ojay, Starbarwillow, Aem and Muttley I was in a culverty sort of mood, alas I was also bored out of my mind and it was a weekend....

"Thompski, Derby Culverts? Busy?"

"Get yourself down here dude"

So to Derby to enter your Boredom Alleviation Culverts, Ironically Boredomiser. :p

The culvert carries Markeaton Brook underneath Derby City centre for just over a mile before flowing into the River Derwent near the Cockpitt roundabout.

There had been some rain earlier but the flow didn't seem to be affected at all, mainly because 'Flo Selecta' intercepts heavy flow and diverts it even deeper under the city. Thompski tells me he's been in here after heavy rain before and the levels were still do-able.

Anyway, the infall:

IMG_1631.jpg

Brick Arches FTW, this carried on for maybe 250m going around twisty bits.
IMG_1628.jpg

Cones in your culverts, obligatory.
IMG_1627.jpg

It started to get deeper here but not deep enough to flood wellies! :thumb
IMG_1625.jpg

Corrugations! :eek:
IMG_1623.jpg

This bit has been refurbished recently, lots of 'crete!
IMG_1621.jpg

There were LOADS of fish in the deep bit, I even found some catfish stuck to the bottom of the culvert, i'm tempted to go back and do some urban culvert fishing! :D

Anyway, the water shallowed away and then the concrete arch changed to a twin brick box arrangement

IMG_1619.jpg

IMG_1618.jpg

These ran parallel for a while and joined back together after a right turn into a boring but impressive concrete box.
IMG_1617.jpg

Just before the end of the culvert, we found this side-pipe which smelled of fresh
IMG_1615.jpg

If Ojay had been with us, he'd be up there like a ferret down a rabbit-hole! :D

Alas we just had a quick nosey before deciding the smell wasn't great and due to lack of 4-gas chose to leave it alone.

Just after the 'fresh' junction, the concrete box split into two square section boxes which ran towards the outfall.
IMG_1612.jpg

the ENDz!

IMG_1611.jpg

Boredomiser is an unfair name for this place really, it was good to see and a worthwhile mooch if you are in the area. Not difficult to do either, they even provide you with ladders! :thumb

Cheers,

WB.