real time web analytics
Report - - Box Mine - July 2023 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Box Mine - July 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mr Budge

28DL Regular User
Regular User

Mining operations for 'Bath stone' started here as early as the roman occupation on Britian in 43AD and the mine is part of the 'Bath and bradford on avon bats speacial area of conversation'.

Wiltshire is known for its historical stone mining significance and this the largest underground stone quarries in the area and the UK

Box mine is made up of numerous mines that were once owned by different companies, Pictors, Nobles and Stone who began mining commercially after 1841.

A section of the mine known as 'The cathedral' something ive been wanting to see for years sits around the middle of the complex at 100ft high and 25ft wide.

Stone was hauled out of this shaft between 1830 and 1850, currently a row of cottages reside nearby the grilled shaft. there are rumors of someone abseiling into here but ive been unsuccessful in finding proof.

Output reached its peak in the late 19th century before its closer in 1968, to the east is an MOD installation which can be seen by the added structural supports, safety railing over the old wells and blocked up drives.

The 'red door' is now hidden behind layers of defense and ive been told has recently been painted green.

The only official access is a gated adit entrance used by cave rescue for training and rescuing lost groups which has happend numerous times over the years, most recently in 2020 leading to the other commonly used entrances being sealed.

Victorian era graffiti can been seen on every wall even there workings out left behind, unfortunately a lot of this has been vandalized by pointless graffiti.

There are numerous cranes and crab winches left behind ranging from great condition to rubble each with a laminated description nearby.

At one point in time you were able to buy a survey from the nearby pub the quarrymans arms but it seems them days are now in the past.

Photographs are as follows

1 - Cathedral
2 - Cranes
3 - Graffiti
4 - random

1.jpg

2.jpg

A small piece of rope can just about be seen dangling down from the gated shaft, you can also climb up behind here and head to another shaft behind this one but we didn't do it on this trip

3.jpg

Looking behind from where we just came, to the left is what at first glance i thought was a well until looking to the ceiling where its clear to see this was once a smaller shaft of its own

4.jpg

The size of this chamber didn't disappoint

5.jpg

7.jpg

The cranes

8.jpg

number 2 crane was one of the best preserved, these 1800's cranes had a max lift of around 5 tons and were transported all across the mine where and when needed, There are carved out slots all over the mine which show a crane was likely once used there.

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Must say im a big fan of the preservation and numbering using brass house numbers

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

A nice before wood rot picture can be seen here of the crane still standing

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

Mobile crab winch

22.jpg

Graffiti

23.jpg

This was one of my favorite pieces of graffiti showing the famous tom sawyer who was a victorian bricklayer who became the worlds first heavy weight boxing champion in 1860.

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Budge

28DL Regular User
Regular User
continued...
35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

Random

You can see here the MOD making
necessary changes to maintain structural integrity, a nice contrast of old and new

42.jpg

Looking out of what i believe to be jacks entrance, one of the recently sealed ways in

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

Looking at pictures of what this area once was is a shame. there used to be well built brick models including a dalek but now it seems they have been dismantled to re build crap

46.jpg

The MOD love to install safety barriers

47.jpg

48.jpg

This area here was the last area to be officially worked at box, you can see good examples of when stitch drilling came into use around the same time as air was being used

49.jpg

A piece of stone known as 'the shard' which looks like its waiting to fall

50.jpg

A fungi'd bit of sh*t

51.jpg

52.jpg

Lovely brickwork defaced by not so lovely graffiti

53.jpg

55.jpg

56.jpg

57.jpg

58.jpg

A selection of nails and files left behind

59.jpg

60.jpg

:thumb

Last edited:

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
That's a nice set of pictures and a pretty decent report. Shame the Darlek has gone :(

wormster

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cliftworks, Crane Country and the Daleks, you had a busy walk about, the well dig at the Cathedral was fun

Timmmy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Love seeing this place pop up. Some great pics of the place on your behalf. I need to make the drive down there some time soon.

Who has read this thread (Total: 218) View details