real time web analytics
Report - - Bugnel Sewer, Manchester - October 2013. | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bugnel Sewer, Manchester - October 2013.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin

Bugnel Sewer, Manchester

First looked in by Siologan & LittleMick if I recall, I remember seeing a couple of pics from this place a number of years ago now by Yaz

Having already wandered up the overflow a number of times over the last few years I never ventured into the sewer itself

The weather had been nothing short of ridiculous during October the river levels were too high for venturing into this, so I set about locating a suitable lid instead

I bumped into Nickindroy at the local convenience store and we decided to head out for a mooch

Our time in here was governed very much by the weather, and on the evening in question it's a good job we paid attention as it lashed it down at the exact moment it was forecast to :eek:

Quite a decent Victorian example this one, with the exception of the newer drop shaft/overflow modifications

Apologies for some of the pics being a bit crap as it was like a sauna down there and very difficult getting pics especially around the drop shaft as the air was filled with steamy p00p particles

The sewer collects fatty deposits from the nearby takeaway's, also fat-bergs have accumulated in places making it extremely brittle under foot

I'm not really sure the Victorians ate kebabs and other such fast food shyte tbh

Still the oversized rat that legged it off into the distance on entry wasn't doing too badly feasting on said fatty shyte :rolleyes:

A 7m brick shaft drops a side entry into the sewer

12.jpg

(pic taken by Nick)

1.jpg

Once down a 6ft brick egg

2.jpg

A further 40m of trudging through fatty deposits made it difficult underfoot before a couple of fresh side pipes joined the system

On the way out a smaller pipe (just out of shot on the left) spewed it's turdy load all over my back.. grim times!

3.jpg

Another 20m down and you end up in a small CSO

This is the original overflow before the newer bolt-on as seen below

4.jpg

There's quite a bit going on here let me explain..

^ From the above pic above the sewer continues down on the right of the original brick overlow chamber around 3m through a newer 5ft bolted concrete pipe

5.jpg

Here, the sewer drops via a small vortex and joins a trunk sewer a further 5m below

The newer and larger concrete shaft that houses the vortex also serves as a detention tank during severe flooding

It was pretty steamy in here and very difficult getting pics as the lens needed constantly de-misting :banghead

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

From the original brick overflow as seen in pic No.5 the original brick overflow has been slightly modified with the addition of a 3ft brick weir

The overflow itself is very much an original and untouched 6ft brick egg which travels a considerable distance to the River below

9.jpg

10.jpg

Seems legit

11.jpg

Peace.​

Nickindroy

A Porky Prime Cut
Regular User
Enjoyable excursion this was, passing police, traffic wardens, nothing. Then I pop down and a nosey and that old bird starts giving you 20 Q's :D Another pair of gloves down the fucking drain.

TphIhYv.jpg

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
turdtastic, I sure stirred that arse-broth up in that plughole before you headed on down :thumb

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
That egg is some sexy sewer brickwork. Looks a proper good explore this and pics are great whatever the conditions.

Seffy

Staff member
Proper fresh that, another quality report man.. Loving the barriers too, I wouldn't even think to look twice at that :D

bhg

In Search of Lost Time
Regular User
Loving it Ojay. Great shots and report, and those barriers look well professional :D

Last edited: