real time web analytics
Report - - Burlingham Mill.. Bury St Edmunds, December 2021 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Burlingham Mill.. Bury St Edmunds, December 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I had known about this mill for a while, but always knowing it's well sealed I ain't took much notice of it till KPurban messaged me asking if I knew about it and that sort of jogged the memory. Funnily enough I was that way at the weekend I thought I would stop by for a look and even take an external as its a nice building. Surprisingly there was a way in I found so be rude not too look. Not knowing what it was like inside as never seen a single photo from it before inside, just lots of externals. Some of the side was in use till a while back but not now by the looks of it. I could not get in that bit though. It was stripped inside and for the most part pretty dark. Most of upstairs was gone or rotten or pitch black. But it was nice to finally see inside this local mill. I wanted a picture of the front with the lovely ghost sign. But could not find a way around as its been heavily redeveloped with new flats around it.
The mill was built in the 19th century as a seed washing mill by George Burlingham and sons. The seeds would be cleaned in here and most prob through a large fanning machine maybe like the sort you had on farms. Used to remove straw and stone and other unwanted stuff. It may have even used an old winnowing type machine. The mill was prob used for removing grain kernels free of the stalks. I can only assume this as history on this mill is scarce.

A nice rover parked up at what looks a now disused motor place.

A couple of phone shots of the other side of the building. There was also a rail siding here.

Last edited:

westernsultan

Banned
Banned
Found this info - Burlingham Family - from 1867 onwards First, Grist Mill progressed to extracting the husk from trefoil seeds and then onto removing ribgrass from clover seeds. 1936- Fire devastated the Mill Prior to the mid-C19 and the arrival of the railways and industry to the vicinity of the mill, this part of Bury-St-Edmunds was open land, and is Annotated as Tay Fen Meadows on the 1836 Ordnance Survey (OS) Map. This building is the most recognisable and ‘landmark’ structure within the complex, although the evidence, presented above, suggests it was actually only built in the very late 1930s, or the immediate post-war period. From an architectural point of view the building has some interest as a late example of a completely brick built industrial building, at a time when concrete would have been developing as the building material of choice in many places for industrial structures. The Burlingham Mill complex has some historic interest related to its connection with the Burlingham milling family, and their presence within the city of Bury St Edmunds as well as the wider Suffolk and Norfolk region since the early C19.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Found this info - Burlingham Family - from 1867 onwards First, Grist Mill progressed to extracting the husk from trefoil seeds and then onto removing ribgrass from clover seeds. 1936- Fire devastated the Mill Prior to the mid-C19 and the arrival of the railways and industry to the vicinity of the mill, this part of Bury-St-Edmunds was open land, and is Annotated as Tay Fen Meadows on the 1836 Ordnance Survey (OS) Map. This building is the most recognisable and ‘landmark’ structure within the complex, although the evidence, presented above, suggests it was actually only built in the very late 1930s, or the immediate post-war period. From an architectural point of view the building has some interest as a late example of a completely brick built industrial building, at a time when concrete would have been developing as the building material of choice in many places for industrial structures. The Burlingham Mill complex has some historic interest related to its connection with the Burlingham milling family, and their presence within the city of Bury St Edmunds as well as the wider Suffolk and Norfolk region since the early C19.
Fascinating. Nicely found, I wonder if really is that new. I would not be surprised.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Yes my pc told me it was an unsafe site so I ignored that - she is a Graduate of University of Suffolk - Interior Architecture and Design, that's why I think the info is correct as it was one of her projects
No wonder it kept coming up on my phone as site is not safe as on mobile data. Although I should be able to avoid that. Will try again on WiFi. Does sound like it would be right though.

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Did it in like 2006 or somthing. Part of it was used for storage back then. Probably one of the first places I set an alarm off in I think. Was no where near as fucked back then but just as empty.

Who has read this thread (Total: 317) View details