real time web analytics
Clothing advice for a new explorer. | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Clothing advice for a new explorer.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Apilolomi

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi everyone!

This question might be a bit weird but anyway. So i am really new to urban exploring. I have visited abandoned buildings a few times before but i am now really starting to get into the hobby. I have figured out most of the gear i need but i still wonder what kind of clothing i should use? At the moment i am thinking about using a hoodie (a bit of extra warmth and protection) and some really tight jeans (because i like them so much for some reason). I am especially uncertain about my choice of pants though. Are tightly fitting jeans bad for urban exploring and if yes why? So that is pretty much it. Again sorry if this is a bit weird. Thanks and have a good day everyone!

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
It's not as silly a question as some people may think. Most important thing is maybe to blend in. Exactly what that means depends where you're exploring and how you may want to get in.. Most of the time it's good to look like a workman but other times even a suit and tie might give you the best cover. A lot of the time the 'tramp look' works too which suits me down to the ground!

Once you're actually in the requirements can be totally different, decent work clothes and boots tend to be the standard for most derps. Somtimes you have to take a change!

One thing I've also found is if you're caught looking 'normal' is a bonus too. Student with a camera used to work well for me when I was younger. Now I just look like a pikey which is less than ideal somtimes

Apilolomi

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It's not as silly a question as some people may think. Most important thing is maybe to blend in. Exactly what that means depends where you're exploring and how you may want to get in.. Most of the time it's good to look like a workman but other times even a suit and tie might give you the best cover. A lot of the time the 'tramp look' works too which suits me down to the ground!

Once you're actually in the requirements can be totally different, decent work clothes and boots tend to be the standard for most derps. Somtimes you have to take a change!

One thing I've also found is if you're caught looking 'normal' is a bonus too. Student with a camera used to work well for me when I was younger. Now I just look like a pikey which is less than ideal somtimes
Thanks a lot for the answer! I thought about getting some more discrete clothing when i am more experienced and will visit different locations. First its about getting used to everything new.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Don't be like the morons who prance around derelict buildings looking like they've raided an army surplus shop.

I've only ever really worn my 'normal' clothes, the only specific item of clothing I wear solely for exploring is an old scruffy 'hobo' coat in the winter as I don't want to wreck my nice winter coat on a fence or whatever. Every single pair of jeans I own and most of my hoodies will inevitably get a hole in at some point from something or somewhere.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Over the years Iv become quite obsessive over what I wear & have tried many things.
My fave trouser is regatta questra 2, they are really comfy, stretchy & fairly rip proof. also dry very quick if u get wet!
Some decent boots are a must, I get through walking boots like anything but have a pair of keen ones which are proving good & I have some inov8 fell running boots which are super light & grip to wet rock like shit to a blanket! I use them for wet caves quite a bit.
Tops I wear karki green, camo or black from ebay & a dark coloured buff is essential in winter or just for covering face in case of cctv!

Apilolomi

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Over the years Iv become quite obsessive over what I wear & have tried many things.
My fave trouser is regatta questra 2, they are really comfy, stretchy & fairly rip proof. also dry very quick if u get wet!
Some decent boots are a must, I get through walking boots like anything but have a pair of keen ones which are proving good & I have some inov8 fell running boots which are super light & grip to wet rock like shit to a blanket! I use them for wet caves quite a bit.
Tops I wear karki green, camo or black from ebay & a dark coloured buff is essential in winter or just for covering face in case of cctv!
Thank you!

paulpowers

Massive Member
Regular User
Sharp 3 piece suit and tie, with an official looking clipboard!!!

It works

6960475270_23aaa9daef_z.jpg

Clothing depends entirely on where you're going
You can wear pretty much anything into a derp but I'd recommend something tougher like jeans, an old hoodie, and boots.
Underground and drains the minimum is going to be wellies unless you like having cold wet feet

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
It works

Clothing depends entirely on where you're going
You can wear pretty much anything into a derp but I'd recommend something tougher like jeans, an old hoodie, and boots.
Underground and drains the minimum is going to be wellies unless you like having cold wet feet

as mentioned I tend to use fell running boots in caves, these let water in & drain very quickly so I just let myself get wet, combine these with wet suit socks & its great
there is nothing worse than getting water in wellies as u then stay wet!

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
'tramp look' haha
My only real rule is to not wear something I'd be upset to rip, although I have worn full dinner black tie before (but that was just before chucking it anyway).

abandonned.explorer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Assess where you're looking at exploring and adjust accordingly.
As mentioned, the homeless look can work as equally well as a suit and hi-vis with a clipboard.

Look at the Hatton Garden heist - they dressed as Gas contractors. Who's going to approach someone who looks like they're working?

Cheers.

RookBarkwater

28DL Member
28DL Member
Thermal longsleeve top and bottoms
T-Shirt
Thin Jumper
Thick Jumper
Zip hoodie
Cargo Trousers
Surplus Boots
Beanie
Buff
Leather Gloves

Apply waterproofs and additional layers as weather demands. Use neutral colours. Cheap, effective and practical, blends in well to a civilian environment.

Who has read this thread (Total: 233) View details