real time web analytics
Report - - Compstall Mills, Stockport - April 2023 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Compstall Mills, Stockport - April 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MotionlessMike

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Compstall Mills, Stockport

Compstall Mills are a large complex of former cotton mills at the eastern edge of Stockport next to the Etherow Country Park (formerly the mill pond). The mills date from between 1830 and 1870, along with a number of ancillary buildings including large weaving sheds, offices, workshops and engine houses. The first mill here was built for George Andrew in 1823/24, who owned a cotton spinning and weaving business. Most of the local housing - and indeed the village itself - was constructed by Mr Andrew for his mill employees, many of whom came down from Rochdale.

A plan of the site with the main mill buildings being;

1 - Victoria Mill
2 - Albert Mill
9 - Scotland Mill

Capture.JPG

Cotton spinning and weaving ended in the 1960s and since then the mills have been chopped up into units and rented out. Currently the business park is empty and seems destined to become some kind of residential-led conversion & development.

Saw something about this on Facebook a while back, so went and had a shufty when I was next over Greater Manchester. Didn't find anything epic unfortunately but you could probably spend hours sifting through every cellar, loft space and back room looking for goodies.

The big mill is Victoria Mill with Albert Mill to the right of it.

P1120512.jpg

Looking over the large north-lit weaving shed

P1120496.jpg

Some pictures from inside, I can't remember which bits these are from as it's a bit of a maze

P1120491.jpg

P1120511.jpg

1.jpg

P1120499.jpg

P1120502 (1).jpg

Weaving shed was all partitioned off with breeze block walls

P1120482.jpg

P1120480.jpg

Former engine house with period tiling

P1120487.jpg

P1120485.jpg

3.jpg

One of the old cellars had a culvert in it, presumably originally linking a water-wheel to the reservoir

P1120505.jpg

P1120506.jpg

P1120519.jpg

P1120503.jpg

P1120494.jpg

2.jpg

That was about all I found, I'm not 100% I saw every building so there's scope for interesting stuff elsewhere maybe?

Last edited:

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great report. Overall the place is trashed but there are some nice original features.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Was hoping to have a gander at this soon when I'm on a rare trip up to the area, you're right there's definitely more to see here that I can recall from a Facebook posting.

MotionlessMike

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Was hoping to have a gander at this soon when I'm on a rare trip up to the area, you're right there's definitely more to see here that I can recall from a Facebook posting.

There was an enormous amount of clutter and general office crap, hopefully I didn't miss anything good.

I can't recall or find where or who posted on Facebook now - the uselessness of posting on FB all over I suppose!

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
Good report mate i think you’ve pretty much got it all there. I did find that there was another engine house according to plans but it didn't seem like an engine house to me. It’s where the offices for the lawnmower company were upstairs.

Some serious cast iron work around Victoria mill, i managed to find a few old photo’s i’ll tag em on here.

729E9C45-A2F6-4E32-BC1B-56F8865465FA.jpeg

C3A692B9-C219-4B96-84DF-38B1AC3F836D.jpg

CEE364AD-F8AC-44FB-90E7-C02D19C7FDE8.jpeg

You can see where the lodge has been filled in for the carpark at etherow.

It’s a shame it’s so smashed up i’ve checked on this place loads but it was always in use. Another i’ve let slip.

Enjoyed it though, plenty to rummage at. Used to be so many places like this back in the day. Where nobody seems to give a shit.

JackDoesExploration

28DL Member
28DL Member
Is this a hard place to get into? I can't seem to find it. All I found is some broken down buildings on the side of the road. Is it off of Andrew street?
P.s. I'm fairly new to this site

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
Is this a hard place to get into? I can't seem to find it. All I found is some broken down buildings on the side of the road. Is it off of Andrew street?
P.s. I'm fairly new to this site

It’s quite a big complex and it’s all derp, can’t really miss it tbh when you search for Compstall Mills

MotionlessMike

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I think the old stuff still visable on Google opposite was a print works originally, also started by the same family as the mill.

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
I think the old stuff still visable on Google opposite was a print works originally, also started by the same family as the mill.

Yeah it was a pretty popular explore back in the day. You used to be able to drive cars in there and shoot them. Probably around 2007/8 ish. Was mega trashed then though tbf.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Looks lovely, I like the first pic of the engine house showcasing those lovely tiled walls, and the shot further down with the chair.

Who has read this thread (Total: 191) View details