real time web analytics
Report (Permission Visit) - Connaught Barracks - Dover, Sept 2014 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report (Permission Visit) Connaught Barracks - Dover, Sept 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

cliveh

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
My first post here so please be gentle with me guys!!

Connaught Barracks, in Dover are situated just to the north of the Castle on land adjoining Fort Burgoyne. They were built in 1913 but all the buildings I saw appear to be of 1960s/70s vintage.

the Barracks was last occupied by 1st Battalion The Parachute Regiment. They vacated the barracks in 2006 and the site now lies abandoned and had been designated for re-development.

Here's some shots of one of the barrack blocks and Junior Ranks Mess. I have more of the NAAFI and some of the other building which I can post up to if anyone's interested

IMG_6684_zpsc68dfb7c.jpg

Barrack Block 7E

IMG_6697_zps9823f2e0.jpg

Barrack Block 7E - Laundry

IMG_6700_zps42d455f3.jpg

Barrack Block 7E - Bedroom

IMG_6705_zpscdec87dc.jpg

Kitchens

8b0cb0d3-3c17-4a62-bd17-89c5dfb97983_zps38ca164c.jpg

Kitchens

IMG_6722_zps0d87ab3f.jpg

Kitchens

IMG_6728_zpsc3be1d9b.jpg

Junior Ranks Dining Room

IMG_6729_zps52730656.jpg

Junior Ranks Dining Room

IMG_6730_zps5f5af47f.jpg

Junior Ranks Dining Room

cliveh

Last edited:

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Re: Connaught Barracks - Dover

Your name rings a bell clive ;) you need to put a date in the title and that's pretty much all needs doing,was this with permission?if so you need to indicate this in the title drop down box i think its found

cliveh

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Sorry - forgot the date - it was Sept 2014 and pics taken during an Open Day for Fort Burgoyne so guess it was a permission visit!

cliveh

Styru

Admin
28DL Full Member

Sorry - forgot the date - it was Sept 2014 and pics taken during an Open Day for Fort Burgoyne so guess it was a permission visit!

cliveh

Can you add the date to the title mate - needs to be there when it comes to archiving time :thumb

Ordnance

Stay Safe
Staff member
Re: Connaught Barracks - Dover Sept 2014

My first post here so please be gentle with me guys!!

Connaught Barracks, in Dover are situated just to the north of the Castle on land adjoining Fort Burgoyne. They were built in 1913 but all the buildings I saw appear to be of 1960s/70s vintage.

the Barracks was last occupied by 1st Battalion The Parachute Regiment. They vacated the barracks in 2006 and the site now lies abandoned and had been designated for re-development.

Here's some shots of one of the barrack blocks and Junior Ranks Mess. I have more of the NAAFI and some of the other building which I can post up to if anyone's interested

The older parts are known as Fort Burgoyne, originally called Castle Hill Fort, which was built in the 1860s as one of the Palmerston forts around Dover in southeast England. It was built to a polygonal system with detached eastern and western redoubts, to guard the high ground northeast of the strategic port of Dover, just north of Dover Castle. The fort is named after the 19th century General John Fox Burgoyne, Inspector-General of Fortifications and son of the John Burgoyne who fought in the American Revolutionary War.

Until recently the central part of the fort was used by the Army as Connaught Barracks, and the site is now being redeveloped for housing. Plans to use the barracks as an open prison were dropped in November 2006.

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User

Good effort, I wouldn't have thought you would get permission to visit this place. Seems you missed the best bits though but still got to see a good chunk of the site. Looks a lot different in day light haha :thumb

tadworth

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

I lived in those blocks in the late 90's. Apparently there are tunnels all over the area?

hamy45gary

28DL Member
28DL Member
The Kitchens brought back Memories! Served there from 88-90 with the Royal Green Jackets with the Catering Corps, can still picture the kitchens full of equipment